Pre-Crimea 1st Life Guards Sword

stratasfan

Thought I'd share this gem! Another from the family that my Sis is the archivist for. This is ID'd to an officer in the 1st Life Guards. It looks beautiful! Don't know much about it, other than knowing whose it was.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Isn't it amazing? The family is currently trying to restore a large part of the house so that they can rent it for weddings, etc. Hoping they do a nice display of the family swords. There are some cool ones, and some that really could use a bit of TLC. Not sure when or if, but here's hoping! -grin- At least Sis got someone who took photos, and was able to ID most of them. This one is one of my personal favorites. Sis has a picture of the young man whose sword this was. I'll see if she will come post it. :)

Here I am with some pictures . . .

This is an 1840s portrait by an Irish artist -- done while the three brothers were at Eton. The gent who owned the sword above is shown seated on the horse and is sixteen years old.

spacer.png

This is rather a sad one, as it is taken a year or two before he died, so he's already unwell here. This was taken in France c. 1863spacer.png

• 5 months later...

It is beautiful. Apparently, his helmet was also saved, so hoping that turns up and can get photographed in the future. Am currently working on going through letters from this fellow and his siblings, which makes it all so interesting and turns them into such real people.