Luftwaffe Officers waffle pattern white visor cap

warguy

As I continue to practice photographing some of my collection, I learned real fast the difficulties of effectively photographing white topped visors. Seems when I added enough light to get the pure white background and waffle pattern visible, I lost the detail in the black sections, visor, mohair band, etc. If anyone out there is a photographer and has any suggestions let me know. Anyway, here are my efforts and this hat is a favorite in my Luftwaffe collection. The white top actually looks cleaner in hand, showing only the most modest of age and it just looks great on display. It is a relatively rare maker not seen often. I have been over it with a fine tooth comb on WAF with some very knowledgeable collectors and it has passed muster. I have owned it about twenty years now and have never regretted this purchase. You most often see the Erel version of this one, and often the snap bullion eagle to ease of removal for cleaning. This one is loosely stitched on and I don't believe the cap has ever been cleaned. I like it so much I made it my Avatar. Just wish my photos would do it more justice.

IMG_1094.JPG

IMG_1089.JPG

IMG_1090.JPG

IMG_1091.JPG

IMG_1099.JPG

Kevin,

That is one nice white top Summer cap.  What/who does the "Fewegla" marking represent?  That is a new one on me.  

I think your photography results are admirable.  I don't know if you will ever get good detail between black and white.  If you focus on the white top the black mohair will tend  to go dark.  If you focus on the black mohair band the white top will wash out.  Are you using a light box?  I have given up on them and I now use natural light trying to take photos on overcast days.  Failing an overcast I use shadows.  It's the best I can do but professional photographers have more tricks they can use.

George

21 minutes ago, SARGE said:

Kevin,

That is one nice white top Summer cap.  What/who does the "Fewegla" marking represent?  That is a new one on me.  

I think your photography results are admirable.  I don't know if you will ever get good detail between black and white.  If you focus on the white top the black mohair will tend  to go dark.  If you focus on the black mohair band the white top will wash out.  Are you using a light box?  I have given up on them and I now use natural light trying to take photos on overcast days.  Failing an overcast I use shadows.  It's the best I can do but professional photographers have more tricks they can use.

George

Thanks George for your nice comments and suggestions. The maker mark on this hat is a rare one, but interestingly this maker seemed to concentrate on white topped caps for the few hats they produced if I recall the discussion on WAF from 15 years ago or so. When I researched the cap hard after obtaining it, I remember seeing just a couple of other examples of caps made by this firm. Thanks for the suggestions on the photography. Yes I am using a light box, for the first time. I have for the most part been happy with the results, although disappointed in a couple of helmet shots where the overhead LED’s made the helmet look dented. I think overall it was a decent investment. With more time on my hands, I too took some pieces outdoors before the weather turned and was happy with the natural lighting as well. Have you ever used more of a studio approach, with the lights on tri pods and colored backgrounds on a stand (more for uniform shots or larger objects I think)? I was considering a purchase of a kit to allow me to do this after the New Year and thought for this hat, if you hit it with several lights at different angles from the side, front, etc. instead of just lighting it from the top that it might bring out more detail. Thanks again for the comments, I sure appreciate it. Kevin

Years ago I used a light box with multiple light sources but I used colored filters since I was still using film.  I never could find the sweet spot in my filter use even though I bought a bevy of colored and trick filters.  I left all that experimentation behind when I sold my Pentax SLR outfit and went digital.  I think you are doing an excellent job with your current shots.  There always seems to be some issue that arises and has to be dealt with in the dark room or computer.  I am not computer literate enough to successfully operate these digital light/dark programs successfully it seems.  Good luck to you though!

I can certainly see enough of your cap (via your photography) to tell it is a nice one and I am always glad to find a new maker that I was unaware of before.

George