Luftwaffe Air Gunner Badge and Fallschirjager Badge-Real or Not? Value?

Hookemhorns88

Hookemhorns88

TR items are not my wheelhouse but I have some items that were vet bring backs by my great-uncle. With that people approach me from time to time with offers to buy items that they have. 

These two badges have been offered to me.  I have no idea if they are real or even their value.  I suspect that the Gunner badge is real but uncertain about the Paratrooper badge.

If they are out of my price range I would at least like to advise the present owner of their authenticity (?) and value.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_8190.JPG.363839fb5dede21b3d6eb0303dfcb4c9.JPG

IMG_8193.JPG.0df927fe9993f82101b794537d38a2b7.JPG

IMG_8194.JPG.a2103102f4803d0fffb37071aa176fd1.JPG

IMG_8196.JPG.83a9bd710e364c9edd86bb724f4473eb.JPG

IMG_8192.JPG.50665ba30992429bb1918f862b816241.JPG

The hallmark on the Gunner badge appears to read: ?/68.

Both badges appear to be post WWII Rudolph Souval pieces. Souval was an Austrian firm that made decorations during the TR period, but also re struck them after the war for collectors etc. The "tells" are the bent wire rivets and the odd catches. 

ps-the mark is probably L/58

Hookemhorns88
1 hour ago, Kadet said:

Both badges appear to be post WWII Rudolph Souval pieces. Souval was an Austrian firm that made decorations during the TR period, but also re struck them after the war for collectors etc. The "tells" are the bent wire rivets and the odd catches. 

ps-the mark is probably L/58

Out of curiosity, if the same manufacturer possibly made both of these post war then why would one be hallmarked and the other not?

Thanks for the above info.  For cost reference I will surf the internet for these comparables.  For now, I have seen the prices all over the map.

Souval put their wartime L/58 number on some of their post war products, why is anyone's guess. Those are definitely post war pieces though. The bent wire rivets and weird catches are unlike any original wartime example and are classic post war Souval. These post war Souval pieces do have some value as compared to an outright fake, but a fraction of what a true original commands. I also don't believe Souval actually made these two badge types during the war. They included them in their post war "line" by either creating the dies or repurposing those of another maker. Hope that helps...