POST YOUR STENCIL ANCHOR LIDS

shemp h.

Good morning Guys, the IJN stencil anchor helmet has always been one of my favorite lids and I don't think I've seen one on this forum so I thought I would start this thread.Here is mine so if you have em, let's see em. Thank you and thanks for looking.

Bill

IMG_20210124_100857_618.JPG

IMG_20210124_100926_731.JPG

IMG_20210124_100751_917.JPG

IMG_20210124_100824_167.JPG

IMG_20210124_100957_660.JPG

6 hours ago, spag199th said:

Wow, I'm surprised that no one has posted their IJN Helmets? If I had one I would share it. All I have in a IJA lid.

We will have to give it a few days Sal, there aren't a lot of big collectors on this forum, so I started this thread to try to give it a kick in the a## to try to help get people interested 😉

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Damn Rich for twenty bucks I think you did pretty good, from your photos the liner looks to be in nice  shape and you might be able to remove the black paint from the anchor without damaging the yellow paint underneath but I would leave it as is.

Bill 

One I used to own, Im not sure if the numbers are related to Japanese navy or not, it was painted black when I found it in a shop and the black paint come off easily but someone in the past scrubbed off alot of the original brown paint.

DSCF6414.JPG

DSCF6407.JPG

DSCF6411.JPG

DSCF6382.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
Fortunes Of War

Hi. I'm guessing that the black painted helmet with anchor and the one with the red and white stripes are different helmets!  While most people continue to debate whether the Japanese painted their helmets colors other than "dead grass", or "shipboard gray", it appears that your helmet shows a navy painted example that was covered over in black paint; that's very cool!  I have also seen a white painted Japanese navy anchor helmet, a black painted Japanese navy anchor helmet, and a Japanese stencil anchor helmet, with aircraft green overpaint, among others.  

MikeB

If youre refering to the helmet I posted its just one helmet, it was painted a gloss black with red and yellow stripes when I bought it and the paint chipped away easily to reveal a brown painted helmet with yellow painted anchor, but before it was painted black someone tried to scrub off the original Japanese brown paint. 

Fortunes Of War

Yep, I was referring to that very same helmet; thank you for the clarification.  

MikeB

Fortunes Of War

Here are a couple of my IJN stencil anchor helmets.  The first one came with a net, while the second one did not.  Both helmets have nice liners.

IMG_5055.JPG

IMG_5056.JPG

Fortunes Of War

Thank you for the positive comment Rich.  Sorry too about the lack of liners; I'm out of town and don't have access right now to the helmets. I'll shoot some photos when I return.

Fortunes Of War

Nice helmets Jareth!  I especially appreciate that shade of green paint!  I have a navy stencil anchor helmet painted in the same shade and an army helmet as well.  I think I know someone who had an army helmet painted similarly as those you are showing here!  If your stencil anchors ever need to make a visit to the West Coast, let me know!

MikeB

Fortunes Of War

Jareth-

I'll post the others when I return home.  I have to agree with you with regard to the paint on the Japanese aircraft.  ...And they used it for other models as well, not just in this fashion.

Best,

MikeB

Fortunes Of War

Here are the corresponding liners to the helmets I posted earlier in the week.  I couldn't remember which stencils I posted, other than the one with the net.  You'll see 3 liners posted here. I think the one with the shortened tie strings, goes with the non-netted helmet, illustrated in the previous post. Jareth-I'll post the helmet with the aircraft green paint, when I have the time to find it and get it out. 

MIkeB

IMG_6272 (2).JPG

IMG_6273 (2).JPG

IMG_6274 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

Jareth-

Here is my aircraft green painted, stencil anchor helmet.  I also have an army helmet painted in the same shade of aircraft green, with "dead grass"  bleed-through, similar to this navy one. You can see the "dead grass" paint underneath, as well as the hint of yellow from the anchor on the front liner pin and shell.  In the first two photos, you can see that the green is nearly identical to yours. The photo showing the liner and markings also shows "dead grass" paint, while the rim is painted with shipboard gray.  I'm not sure what the white is, but it is scattered about the shell (not just in a band around the circumference) and may be indicative of an old winter camo paint.

MikeB

IMG_6275 (2).JPG

IMG_6276 (2).JPG

IMG_6277 (2).JPG

Thanks for the photos Mike. Very cool helmet! Agree it’s same green paint! Strange shipboard gray stripe around interior rim!? Have you ever tried a qtip test with water to see if white comes off liner? Reminds me of clay residue. You should have that kanji translated