POST YOUR STENCIL ANCHOR LIDS

shemp h.

Fortunes Of War

That is interesting, Jareth.  It seems that stencil anchor helmets have less writing in them, in general.  Most of my brass and steel anchor helmets have writing or are numbered in the crown; not so with the stencil anchored ones.  I considered the one posted here to be a bit different.

Fortunes Of War

Jareth-

I have two Japanese Army helmets that are painted in the same shade of green paint as our stencil anchor ones.  This helmet is also painted in a swirl pattern utilizing a combination of gray paint and the green shade we have been discussing.  The gray paint in the image is not shiny, it's more flat.  That effect was caused by the reflection of the photo lights.  You can also see the standard khaki, or "dead grass" shade underneath both colors of paint.

Japanese army helmet in gray and green (2).jpg

Interesting. Is star original to helmet? No gray paint on it? Do I see black paint ? Unusual! Makes me wonder if army helmet was utilized by navy late war? Wonder if there was both army and navy using certain airfields together?

Fortunes Of War

Good observation Jareth!  I never actually spent much time looking over the helmet star; I was more interested in the fact that it seemed to have aircraft green paint and shipboard gray on it.  I never examined the star too closely because it is rusty, with no paint left on it.  The black paint that you see is probably the primer black showing through. 

The star, however, is interesting!  There is a rather obvious outline of a navy anchor underneath it.  I'm surprised I didn't notice it before.  You can see it because of the build-up from the different layers of paint.  I'm guessing your rationale (navy to army) just might be right on!  I'll try and take a photo of the area where you can make out the anchor outline and post it a bit later.  You can see the upswept arms of the anchors on each side of the army star...

The next thing I am going to do is more closely inspect the other army helmet to see if it has an anchor outline too.  I'll post images of it later, as well.  

Fortunes Of War

Here is a close-up of the front of my "army" helmet.  You can see the outline in paint, of the original anchor device underneath the anchor.  I took multiple images but they are essentially all the same: the upswept anchor arms, on either side of the current army star.  It does appear that this helmet had a few iterations before being captured and returned by a U.S. veteran to Port Townsend.

IMG_6315.JPG

IMG_6316.JPG

IMG_6317 (2).JPG

• 1 month later...
Airborne-Hunter

Here's my example. Found at a flea market in July 2018. Bullet hole entered from the liner and exited the rear

IMG_2724.JPG

IMG_2725.JPG

IMG_2726.JPG

IMG_2727.JPG

IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_2729.JPG

IMG_2730.JPG

IMG_2731.JPG

IMG_2732.JPG