M35 for review

Chrisusa1

Hi all, I'm a member over at the USMF and typically only collect WWII USMC items, along my journeys I picked up this WWII German helmet. I'm hoping someone on this site could confirm what  I have here, and possibly suggest what the current market value is. 

Based upon my reading I believe this is a M35 helmet, originally double decal, but one decal was removed. Other decal is intact and I believe is original? shell is marked Q 66.   I think Q denotes the manufacturer and  66 is the size. There is what looks like remnants of a rectangular sticker on the back of the helmet, which i was told is likely a shipping tag, apparently during the war soldiers would just stick a label on  helmets and mail them home as souvenirs, no box needed. 

IMG_4274.jpeg

IMG_4270.jpeg

IMG_4271.jpeg

IMG_4273.jpeg

IMG_4277.jpeg

Hi Chris, I'm not even close to being an expert on TR headgear but I believe it is an M35 and the Q is for the manufacturer of Quist, I'm sure someone with a lot more expertise than myself will be along shortly.

Bill

• 2 months later...

Yep it is a Quist.  The M35 would have been a "double decal" until 1939 when the order came through to remove the national colors -as war broke out having a bright red/white/black shield visible at distance was not in their best interests. Having the army decal helps the value, but missing the liner is a detractor. If I had this in my shop I would price it around $250-350.