Japanese Patriotic Paper Weight

Fortunes Of War

Fortunes Of War

Paper weights were once commonly used by people to keep papers and other important items from blowing or falling off the desk.  Like everyone else, the Japanese manufactured these in a variety of forms.  Some were quite nicely made, while others were less costly, mass marketed and cheap.  Many paper weights took the form of common military items and the themes were meant either for those in the military, former military, or simply to inspire patriotism on the home front.  Here is one in the shape of a helmet, resting on pack.  

C-3-jpg.jpg

Fortunes Of War

As mentioned, there were all kinds of paper weights in varying sizes and styles.  Here is another that is quite similar to the one previously shown above.  It shows a soldier's backpack with a field cap resting on it.  There is also a blanket roll, mess kit and shovel in the set-up.

MikeB

C-10-jpg.jpg

Fortunes Of War

Continuing with the theme: here is another patriotic paper weight.  This example takes the form of a helmet and flag. The helmet has the Japanese Army star on the front, while the flag is decorated with colorful paints.

MikeB  

001-jpg.jpg

vintageproductions

Mike- Those are some great paperweights.

I am a bit ashamed to actually show some of the ones we have as they are nowhere's near as cool......

First is a pre-war Aircraft radial engine with a compass set in the hub.

prpcmp.jpg

vintageproductions

Here is another that is really plain but kind of cool in that it is an officers pre-war cap badge.

impcpbd.jpg

15 hours ago, vintageproductions said:

Here is another that is really plain but kind of cool in that it is an officers pre-war cap badge.

impcpbd.jpg

This is actually a Police insignia.  The Army dress cap insignia has eight points where the Police cap insignia has five points in their typical configuration.

Fortunes Of War

Sarge-

Good pick-up on that; I hadn't noticed the difference either!

Bob-

There seemed to be paper weights to go with anyone's interest or budget.  The one you have with the compass is interesting as it has two functions; the compass tells you from what direction the wind is blowing, and the paper weight keeps the documents from blowing away!!!

Mike

Fortunes Of War

This is a red painted paper weight in the shape of a Japanese Army helmet.  The star and numbers along the rim are painted in gold.  People have been asking me about the cost of these patriotic collectibles. Honestly, the answer is that it depends on the item and how badly the buyer wants it.  Many of these sell for under $50.00, while some of the more elaborate ones can cost $100.00 or more.  

Mike

C-2 jpg.jpg

Fortunes Of War

Wow, Bob!  I really like the one with the aircraft radial engine.  It has interesting detail...

Fortunes Of War

Here is a heavy, nickel plated paper weight of a battleship, riding the waves. The underside is covered in green felt.

ship paperweight (2).jpg

vintageproductions

This is a small glazed ceramic paperweight.

It's medical related but have lost the translation.

medpw.jpg

Fortunes Of War

Bob-

I really like the paperweight that you posted in #15.  I would say that's my favorite so far.  Are there any kanji characters on that one, top or bottom?  Is the bottom covered in anything? Or Is it bare metal?  

Fortunes Of War

This paper weight not only uses a Japanese Army Steel Helmet, but it also incorporates a training rifle (possibly a light machine gun).

C-4-jpg.jpg

Fortunes Of War

Going along with the paper weight listed previously is this example that shows an army helmet, propped on top of what looks like an aircraft bomb.  It is similar in size to the above, as well. 

C-5-jpg.jpg

Fortunes Of War

This cast metal paperweight shows a Japanese soldier, manning his heavy machine gun.  He is shown wearing his steel helmet, pack and bayonet at his side. The second image shows the semi-hollow nature of the casting.   

Heavy machine gun paperweight (4).jpg

Underside of heavy machine gun (2).jpg

vintageproductions

Your metal helmet and rifle remind me of some of the ceramic chop stick rests we have found.

csrst.jpg

Fortunes Of War

Bob-

Thank you for showing the underside of your paperweight.  Interesting that it is numbered.  I agree with you on the chopstick holder; I think this was a popular combination of items within the patriotic theme.  It appeared in a variety of places, including postcards and other forms of art.

Fortunes Of War

Here is another paperweight for discussion. This one took the shape of a popular theme: samurai armor/helmets. The helmet or kabuto, sits on top of a fan, covered in cherry blossoms.  

Exercise Caps, Swim Caps and Headgear Accessories Title Page Art (2).jpg

Fortunes Of War

Here is paperweight in the shape of a Japanese steel helmet.  It has the IJN insignia on it (anchor and cherry blossom) "navy" rayed battle flag and a ship's life preserver ring.  It's made out of a polished metal.

C-12-jpg.jpg

Fortunes Of War

This is a combination paperweight and ink well.  The base of the piece was made into the shape of an aircraft's wings, while the top portion takes the shape of a leather flight helmet with goggles.  You can see the imperial Japanese "national" flag on the left-hand side and the battle flag on the right.  This one is quite detailed and colorful!

C-7-jpg.jpg