French 3rd REI in Indochina Uniform

ScottG

A work in progress but here is a torso at the moment, soon to be a full mannequin of a member of the 3rd REI (Regiment Etrangere Infanterie) from 1952 in Indochina. The uniform is the first pattern TTA 47 as evidenced by the "F" on the upper pockets and the "hidden" lower pockets. Belt is the Mle50 and the straps are not quite proper as they are TAP 50/53 and should be either US M36 or French M50, but the proper French style is quite difficult to obtain. He has para wings and the badge for the 3rd REI. Ammo pouches are French MAS 49 and the first rifle is the MAS36. The other items shown are the trousers for the uniform and the chapeau de brousse (jungle hat), a MAS 49 and bayonet that will go with another uniform (same style but 2nd version TTA 47 for Algeria, the grenade bag also for Algeria and leggings for Indochina. Enjoy!   Scott

DSCN7323.JPG

DSCN7324.JPG

DSCN7325.JPG

DSCN7326.JPG

Thanks guys, I will try to keep it updated as it becomes a full mannequin. Just waiting to do a mannequin order and possibly a new building for the museum.  Scott

sweet display but you are using a MAS 49/56 witch is a weapon saw in Algeria war for Indochina you gonna need a MAS 49 1st type or a MAS 36.

On 3/14/2021 at 5:46 PM, toitoine66 said:

sweet display but you are using a MAS 49/56 witch is a weapon saw in Algeria war for Indochina you gonna need a MAS 49 1st type or a MAS 36.

Thanks and though its a bit hard to see, the top pic is a MAS 36. The 49/56 is for the Algerian mannequin we are also working on. These are a work in progress and will both eventually be full mannequins. Here is the beginning of the Algeria set with the later TTA 47 uniform and leather equipment, also a better shot of the MAS 36.  Scott

alg.jpg

alg2.jpg

alg3.jpg

alg4.jpg

alg5.jpg

Sweet start its very nice, you can remmove the leather chin strap from the visor of the helmet the french did'nt do that way as the US do. Its was a strict army rule .

If you like this thema I may suggest you some good moovies about this war (there is very a few of them) 

L'ennemi Intime (2007): 

Pierre Schoendoerffer said you can find the spirit of his famous  "317e section" moovie

ADOBE_HOUSE-2.jpg.d45057a37c720e97eb48748e9d672b43.jpg

L'honneur d'un capitaine (1982)

L_Honneur_d_un_capitaine.jpg.ca5a7c7012a737f0cce9a704596d2563.jpg

Made by the famous Pierre Schoendoerffer who was at Dien Bien Phu as army photographer he is very know for his moovies "La 317e section" "Dien Bien Phu" and "the Handerson section". Thoses moovies are knows to be the most realistic war moovies. 

R.A.S. (1973) 

R_A_S.jpg.9ef1ad6017cd12fbe8b23fb44c9d2005.jpg

RAS witch mean in the french army language Nothing To Signal its also a very well made and dramatic moovie. Music from François de Roubaix... 

La bataille d'Alger (1966)

unnamed.jpg.90f04724213a5adc9b0760b2b45829ca.jpg

A very controvertial moovie in France witch had been banned for a long time and is nowday a reference in his kind. Apparently this moovie also had been showed to somes US officers as an anti terrorist tactical reference for the 2003 Operation Freedom in Irak. Music by Ennio Morricone...

Hope you will enjoy 

A.S.

Thank you for the suggestions and the tip on the helmet strap. I have a copy of Battle of Algiers but have not seen the others. Also my French is terrible so its a bit difficult unless there is subtitles or its dubbed in English...   All the best!  Scott

Hey no probs 

I can't tell if there is subtitles version, even in France somes are difficult to find. There is my little contribution to your post: 

img_2263.jpg.9ab781d8f3a38c92cf8d481ec22eeb18.jpgimg_2088.jpg.83796604f3e2f0c1bb6546cd90390954.jpg

Very nice, I need the proper M50 suspenders as well as the m51 canteen, they are tough to find here in the States... Thanks for sharing, love the lizard pattern.  Scott

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...