Gallipoli Worn Pith Helmet

Trevor Arendall

Trevor Arendall

Hello all! Thank you for admitting me into your forum!

I would like to introduce myself with one of my two Great War Wolsey Pith helmets. It is hard to choose a favorite but if I had to choose one this would be the one I would pick.

This pith helmet was made in 1909, has original puggaree, and a chinstrap that appears to be made from a lanyard. Possibly something the soldier did because he was bored. However, the real treasure is what is written inside the helmet. It is inscribed “Sergt B Mansfield 4/566 DSC-NZE.” After countless hours of tedious research I was able to translate this. This stands for Sergeant Benjamin Mansfield serial number 4/566 Divisional Signal Company New Zealand Engineers. After this was translated it prompted a few week long journey of figuring out who Sergeant Benjamin Mansfield was. After almost giving up I ran into the New Zealand archives which happened to have a complete file on Mansfield. He joined the military on August 13, 1914 and was discharged on November 3, 1915. He was discharged early because of wounds he received on his right hand during the Gallipoli Campaign. Thus making the only campaign he fought in the Gallipoli campaign. These wounds made him “medically unfit for active service although fit for employment in civil life.”

I also found out that he was originally not allowed to serve because of his poor eyesight but after repeated attempts and “having exceptional knowledge of telegraphs” he entered service. He was a solider who wore glasses in World War One!

I noted that the helmet is dated 1909 and that Mansfield was not given this helmet until 1915. After many more hours of research I found out that when Australian and New Zealand forces arrived in Egypt before the Gallipoli Campaign they were not equipped with sun helmets. The English lent these helmets to Australians and New Zealanders to be returned after the campaign was finished. Sure enough, after the campaign, all pith helmets were collected. One thing I found interesting was that the English choose to let the foreign countries have the older or damaged piths while the English troops were given the brand new helmets. Thus, making sense of why this example to a New Zealander would have been 6 years old when issued.

The only thing that makes sense for this to have not been returned to the English is that when Mansfield was discharged he took it home with him. The campaign was still going on and the collection of these helmets had not yet started. Mansfield was one of the lucky few that got to keep his helmet. Even thought it was rightfully English property!

After the war Mansfield moved to the United States and passed away on September 21, 1945.

Pith.jpg

Pith 2.jpg

Pith 3.jpg

Pith 4.jpg

Pith 5.jpg

Pith 6.jpg

Pith 7.jpg

Pith 8.jpg

Jack the Collector

Welcome to the forum.This is one of those objects that gives me goosebumps.....Gallipoli Campaign!Wow....research has its rewards for the time spent!

Trevor Arendall
1 hour ago, Jack the Collector said:

Welcome to the forum.This is one of those objects that gives me goosebumps.....Gallipoli Campaign!Wow....research has its rewards for the time spent!

Thank you for the welcome! I am very lucky to have this in my collection, I found it at an antique mall and got it for a really good price. Yes, the hundreds of hours I have poured into learning how to research has helped me obtain very nice things! 

Trevor Arendall
54 minutes ago, ErwinRommel1940 said:

Nice helmet and awesome research!

Thank you! The Gallipoli Campaign is one of my favorite campaigns. I have some medals to guys who were killed and wounded during the campaign. I think I will post some later in the week. 

ErwinRommel1940
3 hours ago, Trevor Arendall said:

Thank you! The Gallipoli Campaign is one of my favorite campaigns. I have some medals to guys who were killed and wounded during the campaign. I think I will post some later in the week. 

Neat, the best part about this pith is that it’s confirmed as being at Gallipoli. Others that aren’t name can be assumed to have been there, but this one was there for sure. 

An outstanding helmet with an outstanding history.  I would be proud to own it too.

Trevor Arendall
12 hours ago, Old Marine said:

That’s a very rare piece, thank you for posting the photos.  And, welcome aboard.

Dennis

Thank you for the welcome! 

Trevor Arendall
1 hour ago, SARGE said:

An outstanding helmet with an outstanding history.  I would be proud to own it too.

Thank you! Yes, it is a very cool item. I often wonder who wore it from 1909-1915. There are about 6 years of history in this helmet that are lost to time. Only if it could talk...

Trevor Arendall
13 minutes ago, ErwinRommel1940 said:

You said this is one of two, is that other one attributed as well?

Yes it is attributed as well. I will have to post it when I have time. The other one I have is to an Englishman who served in German East Africa throughout World War One. 

Beautiful Wolseley Helmet. There would only be 10 or so original Gallipoli worn helmets here in New Zealand so you’ve hit the Jackpot. Thanks for sharing. The N.Z. Infantry landed at About 10.00-12:00 hrs on 25,April,1915 as headdress they wore peaked caps, most wore these until the evacuation. In May reinforcements from the Mounted Rifles (less horse’s)arrived these had slouch hats, the sun hat came in later mainly to service corps, The British Royal Marines relieved N.Z. Forces for periods in May and they all wore Wolseley Helmets.

is there evidence of a badge being worn at the front?24DBDEC2-289B-454D-8342-8AD1BC1B9014.jpeg.c94a8ec72d84e5a2285562e8fe736a92.jpeg

signal coy hat badge

D6BFA304-1E05-4CB6-8C31-4079272F73A5.jpeg.b0c872605f886182a5395e7b90ca7b2e.jpeg

N.Z. Maori Contingent.

C975C14D-2D89-4C9D-B1ED-45234F744156.jpeg.a8ed7a4f3078baf768c490739d4de33e.jpeg
Mounted Rifles moving into the line, all wearing Wolseley Helmets after a rest period on Mudras Island. Photos from the NZ archive

Trevor Arendall
15 hours ago, Kia kaha said:

Beautiful Wolseley Helmet. There would only be 10 or so original Gallipoli worn helmets here in New Zealand so you’ve hit the Jackpot. Thanks for sharing. The N.Z. Infantry landed at About 10.00-12:00 hrs on 25,April,1915 as headdress they wore peaked caps, most wore these until the evacuation. In May reinforcements from the Mounted Rifles (less horse’s)arrived these had slouch hats, the sun hat came in later mainly to service corps, The British Royal Marines relieved N.Z. Forces for periods in May and they all wore Wolseley Helmets.

is there evidence of a badge being worn at the front?24DBDEC2-289B-454D-8342-8AD1BC1B9014.jpeg.c94a8ec72d84e5a2285562e8fe736a92.jpeg

signal coy hat badge

N.Z. Maori Contingent.

Mounted Rifles moving into the line, all wearing Wolseley Helmets after a rest period on Mudras Island. Photos from the NZ archive

Oh wow! Thank you for all of the information! There are holes in the front of the pith, which show evidence of a hat badge being worn. When I originally bought this I thought the correct hat badge would have been a NZE hat badge. However, it does not fit in the holes. Now I be in search of a NZSC hat badge. Thank you so much for the information! I will post a picture of the front which a ruler next to it soon!

Trevor Arendall
On 3/11/2021 at 8:40 PM, Kia kaha said:

signal coy hat badge

N.Z. Maori Contingent.

Here is the front with measurements

Pith.PNG

On 3/16/2021 at 9:51 AM, Trevor Arendall said:

Pith.PNG

Looks right for the signals badge give me a couple of weeks to check

cheers Tony

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 9:51 AM, Trevor Arendall said:

Pith.PNG

My spare Signals badge