Evolution of Vietnam People's Army Uniform 1944-2020

gwb123

These were posted to a Facebook page by Julian Tenet, a well known collector for special operations and Asian material.

These are presented by a group apparently in Vietnam that goes by the name of Southern Delta Military Impressions.

It is in two parts.   Part 1 goes from 1944 to 1975, and would appeal to those interested in the Vietnam War.  Featured are 

a number of impressions that show the use of Japanese, French, and American as well as CHICOM and Warsaw Pact material.

There are items on here, especially from the early 1950's that are rarely seen.

Part 2 features the uniforms worn in the struggles with China through to the multitude of uniforms worn in the present day.

The impressions are scanned from head to toe, and can be posed for a screen shots. I've posted a few below. 

If you open up the link to get to the Youtube page, it also includes the link to the group's Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/SouthernDeltaMilitaryImpression

On that page you can see photos of the overall impression. 

Some screen shots of some my favorite impressions... note the US carbine and ammo pouch.  There are a number of other impressions from the 1940's to the mid 1950's that will likely be unfamiliar to many people.

1947.jpg

1954.jpg

Moving onward... soldier armed with a US BAR.  The longer picture is an example of what can be found on the group's Facebook page.

1966.jpg

1966b.jpg

I thought this one was interesting, as it shows the use of civilian clothes during Tet 68.  Photos of the attacks in Saigon show similar clothing.  Note that the US issue grenades and web belt.

1968 b.jpg

1968.jpg

Viet Cong / National Liberation Front impressions, again with ample use of American gear and an M79 grenade launcher.

1969.jpg

1970.jpg

72710236_438920583421540_3462120721524719616_o.jpg

Home front impressions.  I thought it was interesting they would use the nomenclature "Operation Linebacker II".  

I don't know if this is accurate, but it didn't dawn on me until the brown blouse of the female militia was a form of uniform.

1970 F b.jpg

1970 F.jpg

1972.jpg

The use of camouflage uniforms by the Communist forces is still a subject of endless debate. This is what this group believes was used. 

1973.jpg

While the video avoided the subject, the Facebook page included a couple of Allied impressions.  The group also apparently has done WWII German impressions as well.

Air CAV.jpg

ARVN Ranger.jpg