KVP Photograph Album

SARGE

Gents,

I recently picked up an interesting police photograph album that spans the NS Zeit into the early East German Police. The owner seems to have served in the SA and Polizei and there are photos of relatives in the Heer, Luftwaffe, and Feldgendarmerie. The bulk of the photos show early Barracked Police (KVP) service until around 1960. We don't often see transitional police photos so I thought I would show a few here. Notice the wartime SA and Polizei photos as well as the East German KVP pictures.  

DDR album NS Zeit.JPG

DDR album SA man.JPG

DDR album NS soldiers.JPG

DDR album VPs.JPG

DDR album VP truck license tag.JPG

DDR album VP group.JPG

DDR album trucks.JPG

I thought it was a very neat album from a time that does not have many surviving East German uniform regulations.  Klaus-Ulrich Keubke & Manfred Kunz stated that surviving uniform regulations from this early time period were very hard to find in their book, "Uniforms of the East German Military 1949-1990". 

The group photo above shows wear of the Model 1954 uniform with the early blank collar patches and cross belts.  The photo of two guys above that show the later style of collar patches as well as the early tri-color Wappen in their cap wreaths.  Here is another very rare photo of the short lived steel Police Helmet (Helm fur Volkspolizei) in wear.  This helmet only lasted a year or so before being withdrawn from VP issue.

DDR album helmet group.JPG

• 2 months later...