Medal ID?

Kwc271

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone can identify this medal that I obtained in a large medal collection? Thanks for all your help.

Kevin

35B27406-6391-4DD2-B0C0-3948C450FFAA.jpeg

6CEC27E1-FA8E-4436-BE77-2AE163E2C675.jpeg

It is the same medal, the lighting in the second pic makes the ribbon look darker. It is the same color on both sides

I think in Italy there must be some official records. If you google his name you will find a site in Italian which describes his actions. 

He got the Gold medal in 1921.

The text is:

Medaglia d'oro al valor militare

Cenni storici e normativa dell'onorificenza

Sottotenente ( Bersaglieri , 26° reparto d' assalto "Fiamme cremisi", 1a compagnia )

Data del conferimento: 02/06/1921

Alla memoria

motivazione:

Costante, mirabile esempio di slancio, coraggio e puro amor patrio, volontario di guerra, benchè inabile alle fatiche per grave ferita riportata in combattimento, volle dare tutto se stesso alla Patria, ritornando alla fronte. Passato un fiume tra i primi, si slanciò alla testa del suo reparto coraggiosamente contro un caposaldo accanitamente difeso. Colpito a pochi passi da mitragliatrici avversarie, benchè morente, fece sventolare il tricolore in faccia al nemico e spirò inneggiando alla Patria. Grisòlera (Basso Piave), 30 ottobre 1918

And a picture of him.

download.jpeg

I did a Google translate. It reads like this: 

Constant, admirable example of enthusiasm, courage and pure love of country, a war volunteer, although unable to fatigue due to a serious wound sustained in combat, he wanted to give all of himself to the homeland, returning to the front. After crossing a river among the first, he rushed at the head of his unit bravely against a fiercely defended stronghold. Hit a few steps away by enemy machine guns, although dying, he waved the flag in the face of the enemy and expired in praise of the Fatherland. Grisòlera (Basso Piave), 30 October 1918.

So it was a posthumous award for the last days of WW1.

Regards

Herman 

OH WOW! That is incredible, thank you so much for taking the time for research, I wouldn’t have known where to begin.  By the way, the same guy I got the medal from gave me a WWI Italian Lippmann helmet. I wonder......