Opinions Requested on an SS Dagger

milsurp_scout_14

milsurp_scout_14

Hi all, I have the opportunity to buy this SS Dagger. Backstory is a friend is assisting a family with selling items from their deceased father's estate. He has hit 'the military pile' and I've been buying some items, to include other TR edged weapons (so far, all verified as legitimate by local experts). We've come across this SS Dagger which I understand is by far the most heavily faked. I'm more of a US collector, and am holding one of these for the first time. Any opinions or guidance would be welcome!

Upon doing research, it looks like there should be a maker mark on the blade, but it doesn't have one anywhere. It has the motto, plus some dark spots and shallow pits on the unmarked side. Blade is slightly loose, but I dare not disassemble to tighten it. Grips, Eagle, and SS seem ok. There is wear on all the highpoints of the grips where the brownish wood grain shows through. Both guards are non-magnetic, but nut IS magnetic.

Scabbard has nearly zero wear on it, and looks to be in a little too good of shape. There are some paint chips on the rear. All scabbard fittings are magnetic. Leather has a few minor cracks, but is all soft.

ssd5.jpg

ssd10.jpg

ssd9.jpg

ssd7.jpg

ssd8.jpg

ssd6.jpg

ssd1.jpg

ssd4.jpg

ssd3.jpg

ssd2.jpg

Need a clear photo of pix 7 showing the fitment of the blade to the lower guard.  It appears there is a large rectangular hole in the bottom of the guard where the tang of the blade fits into the grip.  This should not be there.  I am not happy with the fitment of the eagle in the grip either.  The fitment of the top and bottom guards to the wooden grip is also very sloppy.  Not good signs IMHO.  

milsurp_scout_14

Here's better photos of where the guard meets the blade. It does appear that the opening is rectangular.

20210403_160218.jpg

20210403_160207.jpg

Period party daggers of this style were not made like this.  I would not buy it and it would not be one for my collection.