British SOE MI-9 "Three Witches" Formation Sign of IS-9 (WEA) Intelligence School No. 9

Tonomachi

Go to solution Solved by Jedburgh,

I've been following this on eBay and someone spent a great deal of money ($740.75) on this piece.  I don't think it is authentic but I was wondering what other collectors thought about this piece.   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-FORMATION-SIGN-BADGE-MI9-SI9-INTELLIGENCE-SCHOOL-PATCH-WORLD-WAR-II-SOE-/384082417873?mkevt=1&toolid=10001&customid=&mkcid=1&siteid=0&campid=5335821211&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&nma=true&si=J7wpsVLypZAYMS3zJ3SBifsPzKs%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

SOE.jpg

SOE1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Gunslinger

Agreed, looks like a reproduction. Very few of these badge were made and known to exist.

CDub

• 1 month later...

Yes it's a repro and wait a few weeks as another one will appear on UK ebay with identical manufacturing. Sad someone spend a lot of money on this patch.

• 2 years later...
On 11/23/2023 at 3:46 AM, Jedburgh said:

An authentic example for comparison.

3w1.jpeg

3w2.jpeg

Thanks for sharing photos of a genuine piece.  Below is information regarding this patch.

MI-9 "Three Witches" Formation Sign of IS-9 (WEA) Intelligence School No. 9.  It was established in January of 1942 as the executive branch of MI-9.  Its job was to assist British & Commonwealth Service Personnel to evade capture when behind enemy lines and to assist Prisoners of War to escape.  IS-9 (WEA) was attached to SHAEF and a combined British-American Unit 80 strong in all ranks.  The Formation Sign is believed to have been Theater made in the liberated part of Southern Holland.