Argies for Archie aka Nkomo! Falklands War 5th BIM

ScottG

This has been a fairly recent work in progress for me, call it a pleasant distraction from WWI, WWII items. The Argentinian 5th Battalion Infanteria Marina (BIM), were one of the primary units that invaded the Falklands on 2 April, 1982 (my 15th birthday). They remained in the islands and by all accounts fought quite fiercely at the battle of Mt. Longdon against the British Paras. In addition to the Falklands, elements of this unit also seized and occupied South Georgia Island on April 3rd.

While only on a torso for some adjustments, I thought I would begin to take some pics to share the uniform and equipment. This is an Argentine made Marine uniform that consists of a quilted jacket and trousers to meet the conditions near the 5th BIM training center in Patagonia and also the conditions in the Islands in 1982. The belt is cotton weave with the interlocking buckle of the Argentine Marines. Webbing is Tempex suspenders with a Tempex haversack/buttpack as it can also be attached to the belt, it is waterproof as well. Canteen and cup are Brazilian contract and the ammo pouches are one of three primary styles, these being canvas Argentinian made for the Italian bm-59 used by the Marines. The helmet is the Argentinan made FM or Fabricaciones Militaires, M-1 clone, shown are the differences in the liner which are minimal when compared to the M-1. The cover is ERDL with a mesh net. Also shown are the trousers that are quilted and match the jacket. 

Not shown are the Israeli contract Dubon green parka which would be worn over the green uniform and the boots. I am waiting on the Dubon to arrive and have yet to find the proper boots... Soon hopefully! When the parka arrives I will build a full mannequin (which is also why the belt/pouches look loose at the moment. The Argentinian Marines did a lot of training with the USMC and there was a close relationship between the two at the onset of the hostilities. By all British accounts, the Argies fought well and earned the respect of their enemies. Hope you enjoy this small start to my display. In time and as shown in the last photos, I am also building a full Argentinian soldier. Shown here is the army helmet (also FM made) od green cover which is Argentinian and goggles along with the winter field cap.     Scott

DSCN8148.JPG

DSCN8149.JPG

DSCN8152.JPG

DSCN8150.JPG

Something I forgot to mention, notice the green strap on the Marine goggles, vs the later black strap on the Army set. Apparently that was a thing with the exception being those that received the French made Sambuee brand goggles which have a wider black strap.    Scott

20 minutes ago, Nkomo said:

Scott,

What a great set up and rare to boot.  Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

I took a minute to look at this and realized what a terrible photographer I am... I will update it when I rebuild it all. Glad you liked it and thanks!  Scott

Here is the Marine with the proper Dubon parka, and now the field gear fits better! Soon I will order a full mannequin.   Scott

DSCN8298.JPG

• 1 month later...

So, another update to the Argentine Marine. I swapped out the Dubon parka so that it could go with the Army conscript. ( I will add some pics when I get it set up again). I received a nice Marine camo parka so now all is complete, just waiting on some proper boots and it can be a full mannequin. Hope you all enjoy it.    Scott

DSCN9110.JPG