Airfix kits

Old Marine

Here is some 1960s and 70s nostalgia for you guys.  A friend of mine stopped by and gave me these two kits.  Both are unopened.  I built a lot of these as a kid.  I loved the Airfix kits and figures.

1F090955-2F01-452D-901D-F9F7833239EF.jpeg

Proud Kraut

Dennis you remember what happenend when we started the Airfix topic at the USMF? Thanks very much for starting it here I love Airfix as well. If you don´t mind I´m adding some of my Airfix stuff as well.

First and foremost these are two very intersting Airfix kits. I remember the Panther boxart very well but must admit that I haven´t seen the Tiger boxart before. So to say a very unusual view on this tank.

Here´s one of my kits that survived - RAF Emergency Set.

Airfix 1.jpg

Lars,  I do remember the ARIFIX thread on the USMF.  I was hoping to see a bunch of kits and figures here.  I always appreciated the wide range of kits and the subjects that Airfix produced.  Yeah, I agree with you, that illustration is an odd choice for the box art.  

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that crash emergency set.  It’s a great subject.  

To paraphrase the old military line about smoking, "post 'em if you got 'em".

Proud Kraut

Dennis, this Polish Lancer is a wonderfull old 54 mm kit. Is it still unbuild? If so, I would love to see the parts. If you have build it, please post the figure. Yes, the range of scales and subjects was great. I even remember Dinos and animals. If you don´t mind I´d change the topic title to "Airfix kits". That would give us the possibility to post other scales as well 😉

Here´s a very old 1/32 set of German Infantry. I think it´s from the late 60´s

Airfix.jpg

Proud Kraut

I think one cause for Airfix´ success in the past was their iconic boxart. As a kid I really couldn´t cease regarding these drawings. Here are 4 of these from British 1/72 figure sets.

Airfix 4.jpg

You might be right.  I remember all of those figure sets.  When I was a kid, those boxes of figures were great, I think it was 48 figures for .50 cents.  

Today I was in "Hobby Lobby" a craft store chain to get some super glue.  They carry a few simple model kits, mostly cars.  But on the shelf were a few different  Airfix kits, 1:76 scale diorama sets, and air planes.  So evidently they are still in business, or at least the name is still being used 

Proud Kraut

Dennis, your Bamboo house in unbuilt "mint" condition is a real treasure. I have had the same but guess what happened with the filigree parts when it went to war (when we played Australien Infantry vs. Japanes Infantry). Finally we had a house without "legs" and other small parts, before it was gone, lol. There was a similar (house) ruin "Strongpoint" for the European theater.

Never had the chance to build Monty´s car then but found a well built and painted one at a flea market some years ago. I think it was about 2-3 EURO so I bought it.

Here are some pictures of one of my favourite 1/32 scale figure set:

Airf2a.jpg

Airf2c.jpg

Airf2b.jpg

Old Marine

I can imagine those delicate posts could hold up to childhood battles.  It’s odd, I would love to build them, but I like seeing them unused in the original condition.  Like the Lancer kit, I’ll just leave them for now, there are plenty of other things to keep me working.

Proud Kraut

I know what you mean. I would do the same and let them as they are. It´s nearly a half-century....

ArtyScout
On 5/1/2021 at 2:49 PM, Proud Kraut said:

Dennis, your Bamboo house in unbuilt "mint" condition is a real treasure. I have had the same but guess what happened with the filigree parts when it went to war (when we played Australien Infantry vs. Japanes Infantry).

Hey Dennis, Lars is right; that Bamboo house is truly a treasure. Nice kits from AirFix all around.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

We loved to play with these 1/72 figures and their 1/32 comrades for years. A box full of 1/72 figures survived the backyard wars.

Airfix 5.jpg

Proud Kraut

I mentioned the boxart. Here are some of the iconic "good old ones" compared to the "modern" box of a late issued NATO Infantry figure set.

Airfix2.jpg

Airfix 6.jpg