1/35 Scale Russian Soldiers, summer 1941

Old Marine

I had these Master Box, Russian figures for a while, but I could never figure out a distinctive setting for them.  The figures are pretty nice, good poses, crisp, clean molding and lots of details.  I didn’t want to just set them on a plain flat field, although that would have been appropriate, I thought it would be a bit boring. 

So, while surfing through some on line hobby shops I found these sunflower kits.  The kits are produced by Fredericus Rex of Germany they are laser cut paper and wire. Each kit makes 14 plants so I ordered 3 sets.  Building them is fairly simple, just very time consuming.  I was pretty pleased with the way they turned out and the sunflowers are pretty iconic to Ukraine and set the scene to a specific time and area.  The photo shows 28 sunflowers, I have 14 more to make.  

I will post more photos as I progress.  

C9AD334F-D20A-4F7D-923D-0F2C18132329.jpeg

C5FC0551-D4AF-496F-A4E6-6601C73C7F85.jpeg

0CCD2AE6-BF1D-4C01-937A-84B002743B00.jpeg

F54E143B-92FB-44C4-A381-D2378F901A35.jpeg

2EF802CB-AB10-4074-9ABB-D3C97C5F5C43.jpeg

58EF77D5-3C07-487A-B1D0-A1CCDBD135CC.jpeg

572D0A75-F574-4178-ABBF-49CCE386588F.jpeg

ArtyScout

Very nice Dennis. That photo of the BT-7 in the sunflower field is familiar. You know I'll be keeping track of this project.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Old Marine

Die Sonnenblumen erwachen zum leben.  The sunflowers are coming to life.  This is the rough placement of the figures.  There are another 16 flowers to place.  I have to finish the detail painting of the figures, then arrange them and the plants together so it looks like the soldiers are attacking through the sunflowers.

8B1A2AFC-5043-4EEB-8BA6-6E5D90854DA6.jpeg

BD7D5CC8-8883-458B-91A4-6CEE6E17CF37.jpeg

ArtyScout

Excellent work so far Dennis. I see you have an abundance of static grass.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

Yes, this is coming along nicely. It´s gonna be a very dynamic scene. Base and figures are looking fantastic.

Question: Are the sunflowers completely painted? It might be the photos but the centers of the flowers look a little bit bright on my PC. No critique, I´m just curious.

Old Marine

Just bad lighting I think.  But, I agree the centers are a bit too light.  I’ll go back and work the details later.

Great work Dennis. Definitely want to see some more pics. Your figures came out outstanding.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

Simply stunning. The story, the dynamics, painting , setting and background - that´s what I would call a perfect dio. Thank you very much for sharing it with us, it will be pinned from now on.

Yes I have to concur with Lars. This diorama is tremendous. The background pics meshes perfectly and puts this one over the top. Awesome work Dennis.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 6 months later...

The final panoramic photo is really great.  I like the guys who are stumbling through the grass.  

First Q;  Did you make the backdrop, like maybe print it?  Or did you use Photo Shop?

Q2:  What did you use for the grass?  I bought some 4mm grass in two shades.  I forget if these were $7 a bag.  I decided it was too long for my 54mm diorama so I didn't use it.  And I don't have the static applicator they recommend.  

Hey!  If you are interested I could sale you my grass.  Oh!  That doesn't sound legal!!

Thanks for the comments.

The background is just a photo I found online and printed.  It was just a matter of hunting through photos of sunflowers until I found a photo with the correct angle to work.  I played around a bit adjusting the colors to match my sunflowers and grass. If you look close you can see where my flowers end and where the photo  picks up.

The bottom layer of the longe green grass is the longer 6mm static grass.  I didn’t use the applicator I just painted on white  glue and dropped the grass on top.  Then shook off the excess.   The lighter tufts and the bushes are from GreenLine or Fredericus Rex.  They both have great scenic stuff.

I will never look at sunflowers the same again!  Great job, especially with aligning the diorama with the background photo. 

• 10 months later...
On 4/28/2021 at 3:24 PM, Old Marine said:

I had these Master Box, Russian figures for a while, but I could never figure out a distinctive setting for them.  The figures are pretty nice, good poses, crisp, clean molding and lots of details.  I didn’t want to just set them on a plain flat field, although that would have been appropriate, I thought it would be a bit boring. 

So, while surfing through some on line hobby shops I found these sunflower kits.  The kits are produced by Fredericus Rex of Germany they are laser cut paper and wire. Each kit makes 14 plants so I ordered 3 sets.  Building them is fairly simple, just very time consuming.  I was pretty pleased with the way they turned out and the sunflowers are pretty iconic to Ukraine and set the scene to a specific time and area.  The photo shows 28 sunflowers, I have 14 more to make.  

I will post more photos as I progress.  

C9AD334F-D20A-4F7D-923D-0F2C18132329.jpeg

C5FC0551-D4AF-496F-A4E6-6601C73C7F85.jpeg

0CCD2AE6-BF1D-4C01-937A-84B002743B00.jpeg

F54E143B-92FB-44C4-A381-D2378F901A35.jpeg

2EF802CB-AB10-4074-9ABB-D3C97C5F5C43.jpeg

58EF77D5-3C07-487A-B1D0-A1CCDBD135CC.jpeg

572D0A75-F574-4178-ABBF-49CCE386588F.jpeg

Awesome job! Love the sunflowers!