Another Dragon Art Good Luck Flag

Fortunes Of War

Fortunes Of War

I was fortunate to add this flag to my collection many years ago.  The artist rendered a dragon in great detail, portraying it coming out from behind the red sun in the center of the white field.  Most of the dragon flags that I have seen over the years, show the dragon behind the sun, unlike tiger flags that show the animal in many different poses and situations.  I have seen one other flag that shows a colorful dragon head only, drawn in that flag's white field.  

The lines of kanji say that the flag was "Presented to Mr. Onishi, stationed with a divisional communications unit, somewhere in Northern China."  The lower grouping of characters says, "Far from our home town, we rejoice in the coincidence of meeting here in Shangxi, Northern China.  [Signed], Itani Keizo, Ushijima Unit, 1st Field Hospital.  The upper lines of kanji contain a phrase about being just one of one hundred million, protecting the country [Japan]. [Signed] Yasuda Minoru, also of the same communications unit.  The designation of "one hundred million" was popularly used during the war in Japan to indicate the support of the Japanese population.

IMG_6537 (2).JPG

IMG_6538 (2).JPG

IMG_6539 (2).JPG

IMG_6540 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

Thank you Jack; it certainly is...!