Golden Kite 4th class

Fortunes Of War

Fortunes Of War

Here is a medal that seems to be a bit tough to find these days: The Order of the Golden Kite 4th class. Per Wikipedia, here is the description:

The badge depicts a golden kite, a messenger of the kami as described in the ancient Japanese chronicle Nihon Shoki, which helped Emperor Jimmu defeat his enemies in battle. The golden kite stands on an eight-pointed star with 32 rays enameled in red. Below the kite are two crossed ancient samurai shields, enameled blue, with two crossed swords enameled yellow, with silver hilts. On one side is a halberd (enameled green with white trappings), with the mitsu tomoe Shinto symbol on red banners. The reverse side is plain.

The badge was gilt for the 1st-5th classes and silver for the 5th–7th classes. It was suspended on a ribbon in blue-green with a white stripe near the edges, worn as a sash on the left shoulder by the 1st class, as a necklet by the 2nd and 3rd classes, on the left chest by the 4th and 5th classes. The badges for 6th and 7th classes were non-enameled.

The star of the 1st and 2nd classes was similar to the badge as described above, but with both red and yellow enameled rays. It was worn on the left chest by the 1st class, on the right chest by the 2nd class.

The order consisted of seven classes. Enlisted rank soldiers were eligible for the 7th–5th classes, non-commissioned officers were eligible for the 6th–4th classes, junior officers for the 5th–3rd classes, field grade officers for the 4th–2nd classes and general officers for the 3rd-1st classes.

For those receiving the decoration, a 500 yen stipend was provided to the recipient for 5 years.  If the recipient died, his family could receive the money for the remaining time that was left. 

IMG_6593 (2).JPG

IMG_6594 (2).JPG

IMG_6595 (2).JPG

Finding them with no enamel damage is rare! I’ve always dreamed of owned an original breast star! One of the few orders given for bravery

Fortunes Of War

St. Lukas and Old Marine-

Thank you for the nice comments.  I collected awards and decorations years ago and the Golden Kite was always near the top of my list to own.  I found everything from the 5th class, on down.  Many years ago, I managed to find a cased Golden Kite 3rd class at the old Cow Palace Show in San Francisco.  For some reason, the 4th class eluded me.  In speaking to collectors, it seems that this particular class is tough to locate.  In any case, I am happy to share it here.