Japanese Order of the Sacred Treasure 3rd. class

Fortunes Of War

Fortunes Of War

The Order of the Sacred Treasure (瑞宝章, Zuihō-shō) is a Japanese order, established on 4 January 1888 by Emperor Meiji as the Order of Meiji. Originally awarded in eight classes (from 8th to 1st, in ascending order of importance).

The insignia of the order incorporates symbols for the three imperial treasures: the Yata Mirror, so sacred that not even the Emperor is allowed to look at it; the Yasakani Jewel, made from the finest jade; and the Emperor’s Personal Sword.

The badge for the first through sixth classes is a Maltese cross, in gilt (1st–4th classes), gilt and silver (5th class) and silver (6th class), with white enameled rays (representing the sword). The central disc is blue, bearing an eight-pointed silver star (representing the mirror), surrounded by a wreath with red-enameled dots (representing the jewel). The badge is suspended on a ribbon, worn as a sash on the right shoulder by the Grand Cordon, as a necklet by males of the 2nd and 3rd classes, on the left chest (the ribbon folded into a triangle) by the 4th to 6th classes (with a rosette for the 4th class).

The award displayed here is in fine condition; there are no enamel chips and all of the jewels are nicely attached. The award case is in excellent condition and the silver latch functions properly. The plush purple velvet insert is in equally nice condition. Accompanying the medal is its small rosette and single ribbon bar. The suspension ribbon is slightly darkened with age, but it is in overall fine shape. The fasteners brightly gilded, and all are present. The reverse of the medal is in equally excellent condition, although there is some tarnish from age.

IMG_6597 (2).JPG

IMG_6601 (2).JPG

IMG_6600 (2).JPG

Jack the Collector

This is a tease for me,I have not strayed away from WW2 ETO.But if I did I would collect Japanese medals and saki sups......That one of yours is a beauty!

Fortunes Of War

Hey Jack-

Yeah, I know; Japanese awards and decorations are very colorful and elaborate. The higher class/lower numbered awards are well made and the detail is fine.  Thank you for the thumbs up; I'll try and post a nice Rising Sun tomorrow.