Japanese Navy Podium Cover

St.Lukas

I’d seen a few of these over the years and have always wanted one. Uncertain if they’re actually podium covers or if that’s just a collector misconception? I’ve been told they’ve been reported with different colors that perhaps indicate naval branch of service? If so then mine is medical. Very high quality workmanship. Neat hand written kanji that reports to say Yokosuka Submarine Base? It measures 6’X3’ Any opinions are welcome

33B8278F-B03D-49D8-952E-F1D58E45C46D.jpeg

C81E6EE2-B199-47E2-8AC5-D3F36F490266.jpeg

C7C43A4A-2BA1-4608-AB2C-82354728E0CE.jpeg

41E01F2B-FAC9-42BA-82AA-78D400D9AEAD.jpeg

1914E92E-71FD-4E0E-A888-EBC81332BFE0.jpeg

ADC12173-16B3-46D1-A5A6-6974D497F3CF.jpeg

Fortunes Of War

St. Lucas-

Very nice!  I have to admit that I have never seen one of these.  is that the only information that you have?  

Yes. Hoping to get more info or better yet a period photo of it in use. Likely for an event, commencement, awards ceremony etc

Fortunes Of War

I would agree; the construction is high quality, so it must have been for something nice and/or showy.

Thanks Mike. If you or anyone else has seen another or has additional info please let me know

Fortunes Of War

Old Marine-

I thought maybe horse blanket too, but St. Lukas said it was six feet long.  I'm not sure how long horse blankets are, but six feet seems maybe too long.  I keep thinking that it might have been used for some kind of table, since it's only about three feet wide. 

Yeah I thought maybe horse too but size doesn’t make sense. These have always been referred as podium covers & that’s my feeling as well

Eric Queen

横 = Yoko (from Yokosuka 横須賀)

潜 = Sen (from Sensuikan/Submarine 潜水艦)

基 = Ki (from Kichi/Base 基地)

貸 = Kasu/Kashi/Tai (to lend, to loan, to rent out)

一 = Ichi (one) 

C7C43A4A-2BA1-4608-AB2C-82354728E0CE.jpeg.768fe3e06600bc3abfdade1b7414faec.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
Fortunes Of War

Here is what the general consensus is on these covers.  "They are actually a rug for officers to sit on while in small boats used to travel between larger ships. A green edge roughly corresponds to a company grade officer, red for field grade, and yellow for admiral."

That makes sense, based upon the length and more narrow width.  Also, any dinghy, rowboat, or small motor launch would probably be dirty or damp.  You wouldn't want an officer to get his clean uniform dirty!