Recent Acquisition, E.K.II, War Cross, & NSDAP 25 Year Cross & Paper Group

dpast32

Good Morning Friends,  I recently obtained a nice little WW1 Imperial German Medal Group, identified to an Gefreiter in the 80th Reserve Infantry Regiment, from 1914 - 1918. He was apparently attached to an Medical section, as he's listed as being an, 'Sanitater & Musiker'. Fortunately, it contained some quite detailed Genealogical documents which really assists in documenting his service & also personal life, both before & after the War. If someone would PLEASE be so kind as assist me in translating at least the bottom 1/3rd portion of the attached document, I will be extremely appreciative !! As most well know, when using an online, cursory translation app, most times the results are not at all relevant to the actual meaning of the German text, other than perhaps a few innocuous words. There's other, additional documents included within the Group, but right now I feel I should just focus on his WW1 service data, contained within the bottom of the in lncluded form. Someone had commented as to why the E.K.II Document isn't present ? Well, who really knows, but, at least it is 'sort of' confirmed via the above noted document, just around the bottom, where it refers to both the award, & specific date of 27 January 1916. Now I realize that it's not an actual certificate so to speak, however, I honestly don't feel he would have included such within his Personal / Family Genealogical Study had it not been an genuine, official award ? [ Well, at least I do hope. ] So, if anyone would please be so kind as to get me started here with his WW1 service & awards data, I will be seriously & deeply appreciative. THANK YOU,

Best regards,     Dom Pastore Jr.  /  dpast32

p52151_115365_1587671974.jpg

Proud Kraut

Here´s the translation of his wartime service: "He served from August, 4th 1914 until November, 30th 1918 with Reserve Infanterie Regiment 80 as a Private (Gefreiter). He participated in all combats and battles, partly at the front, partly as a medic and musican. He received the Iron Cross 2nd class on January, 27th 1916."

Peacetime-Sevice: From October, 13th 1910 until October, 1st 1912 he served with 2. Nassauisches Infanterie Regiment 88 in Mainz-Kastel.

Unfortunately the picture of the Ahnentafel is very small. If you need more info on the form itself please post a larger picture of the lower edge of the sheet.

Hello 'PK',  As always, I deeply appreciate your very kind assistance here ! As you can probably determine, I'm not all that proficient with my photos, & or file addition skills. Perhaps, if I provide the Link from which the Group originated from, maybe the scans there will be of some use ? I can attempt to load some photos I made of the originals via the Link page, although I'm not at all certain if they'll actually be any better. Please see if there's anything you can learn from these scans ? LINK:  https://stewartsmilitaryantiques.com/german-wwi-wwii-medal-award-documents-wehrpass-grouping.52151.archive.htm

From what little I've learned so far, this Landser definitely saw his share of action, as he appears to have served throughout all 4 years of the War. THANKS, I'll wait to hear back from you. 

Hi PK, I'm adding what will hopefully be visible enough for you to confirm this man's surname, as due to it being written in the German script type in some places, I'm not exactly certain as to the exact spelling for when I perform searches for him. PLEASE let me know if you're able to determine his exact last name, THANKS

Best,       Dom

p52151_115363_1587671974.jpg

p52151_115364_1587671974.jpg

p52151_115367_1587671981.jpg

p52151_115358_1587671965.jpg

p52151_115359_1587671965.jpg

p52151_115354_1587671957.jpg

p52151_115357_1587671965.jpg

p52151_115365_1587671974.jpg

p52151_115355_1587671957.jpg

p52151_115356_1587671964.jpg

Proud Kraut

That´s a nice grouping, thanks for sharing the better pics. His exact name is - H e u s s - (written with German "sharp S"  - H e u ß - is used as well). Let me know if you need more translation.

Hello My Friend,     I THANK YOU again for all of your very kind assistance, it is, as always very much appreciated. Yes, I've been watching this particular Group now for a while, & although it's not anything  unusual, I was partially interested due to the included Genealogical data, which of course allows for relatively easy research. In addition to that, it appears that he did indeed serve pretty much throughout the 4 years of War, & we know that at least a good portion of it was 'at the Front', as noted on one document. And lastly, I was intrigued by his 25 year Service Medal, which probably has it's own story behind it ? [ That's why I was curious as to if any occupational information was listed anywhere ? ] I not sure if you managed to locate his name on the WW1 Army Wounded List I also Posted ? Fortunately, there were only a few men from the 80th Reserve Infantry Regiment listed, & I did find his name listed amongst them. Apparently, if it was really him, he appears to have been Wounded shortly after being assigned the Regiment. There are also a few other similar matches within the Wounded Lists, although I haven't found any others attributed to his unit, the 80th ? Initially, I was somewhat suspicious as to why / how he may have gotten injured that early, as he would have still been 'in training', having only been assigned shortly before ? THEN, I recalled that he been an Reservist, or at least appeared to have received his Army training in 1912 in peacetime, again according to his documents. [ I think I'm correct on this point, I hope ? ] To me, it looks like due to being 'trained personnel', he was probably simply assigned directly to an combat unit, bypassing the normal Recruit Training  process. [ See, yet again his Genealogical documents come in quite handy ! ] Unfortunately, although I am continuing to make progress with him, I still haven't been able to determine his date of death, & or place of burial ? I 'think' I located his wife's death / burial data, yet nothing for him so far. And lastly, what's your feeling regarding his E.K.II award ? Even though the official document isn't included with the Group, don't you also feel that due to it being included, along with an exact date of award on his document as proof of its authenticity ? Well, again I sincerely THANK YOU for all of your continued assistance, it's very much appreciated ! Whatever else you may note within his documents I'd be extremely interested in learning. Take care,

Best,      Dom P.  /  dpast32@aol.com

Hello again 'PK',  [ I truly apologize, but I don't recall your first name ? ]  I performed another cursory search, & I came up with the below document. I 'think' it pertains to a very late War Fatal Casualty, & the name 'possibility' may refer to my search subject ? I noted that the last date found within his Wehrpass appears to be June 1944, so it is a possible match ? I'd appreciate your thoughts on this particular document ? THANKS AGAIN

Best,     Dom

911_567_ballersbach_1945_00014.jpg

Proud Kraut

Hello Dom,

I´m afraid the last document has nothing to do with the group or at least with Heuss. The deceased was born in 1914 not in 1889 like your man. To answer some of your questions. For sure H. did not went through basic training again when he was drafted in 1914. As far as I know these reservists were sent to the front after a very brief time.

Roughly 13 million Germans served in WW I. About 5.2 million EK II were awarded in this conflict. H. served during the whole war so it was most likely that he has received his EK II at one point.

Referring to the Ahnentafel H. entered service at the local administration as an employee (official) in 1913. 25 years and 5 months later in 1939 he received the Treuedienst Ehrenzeichen for 25 years of service. Another perfect match.

Unfortunately your search will be complecated by the fact that Heuss is a rather common name over here. I´ll let you know if I´ll find out more.

Lars

THANK YOU VERY MUCH Lars, I seriously appreciate your very kind assistance !! Oops, there's that old German script at with again !! For an novice like myself, it's almost impossible to dechiper the letters & numerals. I do however 'think' that the Army Wounded Page I just added below 'appears to be a match, based upon what I think / hope is his name & the unit her his, 80th ? He's listed 2 names down, under the names of the 80th Res. Infantry Regiment's section. If you feel that's not him, I'll appreciate knowing, as then I'll delete the incorrect data ? THANKS AGAIN

31924_b042444-00168.jpg

Proud Kraut

Dom, I´m sorry, I have tried everything including a printout in highest resolution. I´m afraid I can´t help without a larger picture of your scan.

I'm sorry to put you through all that ! Don't worry as I'm fairly certain that the list in question is my guy. Everything matches as far as the date, the name spelling, & the specific unit. The only issue that had me somewhat unsure was that he was wounded so early after having been mobilized & sent to the Front. However, after a bit of speculation, I decided that due to his prior service & training, he would have almost assuredly been in action at that point in time. Below, is the data from the particular List;

Name:    Heinrich Heuß - Wiesbaden

Date of Injury:  15 SEPTEMBER 1914

Unit: [ 1st Komp. ] 80 Reserve Infantry Regiment Nr. 80
Residence Year:    WW1
Residence Country:    Deutschland (Germany)
List Date:    07 AUGUST 1916
List Number:    1085
Volume:    1916 XVIII

So, as you can see, pretty much everything matches for my guy, wouldn't you say ? If I ever do manage to enlarge a copy for you, I'll let you know. THANKS AGAIN Lars, your kind assistance is most appreciated.

Best,     Dom

Proud Kraut

You are welcome Dom. And after reading your last post I think it very well could be him. IR 80 was part of the 21. Reserve-Infanterie Division. This Division was in combat since August, 22nd 1914. So no problem with the early date of his injury. Once again, a very interesting grouping, thanks much for sharing it here!

Lars

It was my pleasure, as I'm sure you're aware, it's only people like us that can actually get excited about these things. I have a few other Groups, primarily Polizei related, but one or two are WW1 service, along with WW2 Polizei service. If I can dig them out I'll try to get them Posted up. Take care,

Best,     Dom

Hello Lars, I hope all is well on your end. Well, I wanted to check with you in an attempt to confirm the fact of Heuss being 'officially' awarded / authorized his E.K. II. Someone had noted the lack of his E.K. II Document, whereas his other awards all appear to have theirs. So basically, all we had was his Genealogical study as confirmation of his award, & up until now that was pretty much it. Now however, I can hopefully confirm his award, based upon the notation on Page 24 of his WW2 era Wehrpass, just as I had hoped ! But, I would as usual, prefer your own thoughts on this, as although it does indeed 'look' like it states 'E.K II', I would truly like to verify it with yourself. There's b also 2 additional notations below the Cross, & I'm hoping that you may also be able to identify those as well ? Well, THANKS AGAIN My Friend, I deeply appreciate your continued assistance !!

Best,     Dom

IMG_6455.jpg.c701d75e9901a14faf693f2a332cc467.jpg

OK Lars, In addition to his Wehrpass data, also below is an enlargement of the original document I sent earlier. Hopefully, you'll be able to learn somewhat more as this edition is legible. I'm especially interested in what it states regarding his 'Front service' & related duties, etc. Well, THANKS AGAIN My Friend, I deeply appreciate your continued assistance !!

IMG_6458.jpg.8ca18382d790b43b9b5423e4ea954257.jpg Best,     Dom

IMG_6455.jpg.c701d75e9901a14faf693f2a332cc467.jpg

Proud Kraut

Thanks for the better scans. Not much more info on his front service but I guess the abrevation M.G.K could be: Maschinengewehr-Kompanie (Machine Gun Company)

His medals: For sure the first one is "EK II". Second one is "Frontk.-Kreuz" (Frontkämpfer-Kreuz). Still have to find out the 3rd one, another Kreuz (cross).

OK, THANKS !! I was truly hoping you could read them alright, as I too had an idea as to the 3rd entry. I'll check to see what, if any Hesse awarded for their version of 'War Crosses' ? I surmise it probably had to be something from Hesse, as his uno was formed & originated from there. So # 2 is the standard 'Front Fighters War Cross' aka The Hindenburg Cross, right ? I am somewhat wondering as to why no Black Wound Badge is present, or even noted in his Wehrpass ? I'm almost certain that the 15 September 1914 entry for an 'light wound' is his, as everything matches up perfectly ? Unless of course, his injury was so minor, he wouldn't have felt he could accept a Badge, when his fellow Landsers were getting severely injured all the time ? OR, perhaps his his injury documentation simply got lost in the Kompanie records, or some other reason ? All in all though, I'm quite pleased with the Group & glad that I went for it ! THANKS AGAIN, & please keep me updated if you do lean anything about his 3rd award entry. Take care,

Best,       Dom

Proud Kraut

Yes, No. 2 is the so called Hindenburg Kreuz. Because No. 2 seems to be abbreviated my guess for No. 3 is an abrevation as well: "Kriegsverd Kreuz" (Kriegsverdienst-Kreuz / War Merit Cross) An award received by soldiers and civilians during WW II.

I see, you know I wasn't even contemplating that it may have been a WW2 era award ! Oh yes, I'm quite familiar with the KVK, although I've never had one without 'Swords'. In fact, one of my Groups is an KVK II W/S & original Recommendation Document, awarded to an member of the 5th Regiment, SS Galician Volunteers for defending a Defensive Position along the River Bug in Poland during May 1944. The recipient was actually part of the unit's German Cadre, in charge of a Platoon. ( Hans Pex, from Koln - Kalk, who passed away in 1986. ) Probably tomorrow I'll be Posting the balance of his documents, & I believe you'll find them interesting. One is a Certificate for his taking some sort of Red Cross Course, along with his 02 February 1945 Front Call Up' Notice. ( At least I think that's what it is ? ) I also think I have the original envelope his Wehrpass arrived in, via the mail ? Yes, there's still about 6 or so of his documents I need to get up, so hopefully we'll learn more of his story. THANKS, & please stay tuned.

Best,      Dom 

OK Lars my Friend, Here are the last of Heinrich's scans, & whatever / whenever you're able to translate them for me will, as always, be EXTREMELY APPRECIATED !! Be advised that I'm already familiar with his 1934 issued Front Fighter's Cross award, so no need to bother with that one. All the other ones I could truly use your kind assistance with, as even though I know that one appears to a Certificate for an Red Cross Course, or volunteer work, I'd still love to know exactly what it was for ? And please remember, I do indeed 'owe you a huge favor' for all of your help here, so PLEASE do not hesitate to ask if I may ever be of assistance to you !! THANKS AGAIN, & please take care,

Best,   Dom Pastore Jr.  /  dpast32@aol.com

IMG_6468.jpg.eb985117e023cd1c1192446af4bc2835.jpgIMG_6465.jpg.85cd5b214c93997f08a19fb1d6722e70.jpgIMG_6464.jpg.8a93c5f4b74b12164500ec64bdade5af.jpgIMG_6466.jpg.4261419c422e5f25c1431a9aa8439f60.jpgIMG_6469.jpg.448cd4427b3c228b3351e2a7adf080f6.jpgIMG_6471.jpg.47dd47f0d0b6631c8e448b3316c4c364.jpgIMG_6470.jpg.b428698985d6da2ec644aef024d1cc8a.jpgIMG_6473.jpg.41b14f7363a2dbb638dd8d845832729d.jpg

Proud Kraut

Okay Dom, I´ll start with the pink document, the "Wehrpass Notiz F". Interestingly it was drafted roughly 6 weeks before the war was over in Mainz. It´s a kind of instruction about the duties of civilians with the status "UK-gestellt" (unabkömmlich / deferred from military service). So I assume he didn´t serve at least in late WW II.

THANKS, I figured it was some form of 'call up', or to be ready to be called up ? Apparently, he must have been performing a particular job that left him pretty much exempt for military service. By that period of the War, almost all the men with 2 legs were being mobilized. 

Dom