Another Japanese Good Luck Flag

Fortunes Of War

Fortunes Of War

This is a fine silk Imperial Japanese Good Luck Signed Flag; measuring approximately 26.5" high X 40." long. The bright red sun is set nicely near the center of the age darkened white field. Shiny gold foil paper corner tabs are sewn into place and the heavy cotton tie strings are also firmly attached. The fly and hoist side edges are reinforced with added stitching to give strength to those high stress areas.  Almost all manufactured flags seem to have this added stitching; some even have stitching along all four sides.

There are a few small pin sized holes in the red orb, as well as a few light stains, scattered primarily in the upper left-hand corner.

Across the flag's upper horizontal margin are the five large and bold kanji characters for the slogan Ki Buun Chokyu or "I Pray Your Military Fortunes Are Long Lasting". In the uppermost right-hand corner, the vertical line of kanji characters say "Presented to: Mr. Uematsu Tatsuo, Joining the Navy".

Navy related flags always seem tougher to find, with many finding their way on the bottom of the ocean.  

IMG_6638 (2).JPG

IMG_6642 (2).JPG

IMG_6643 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

Hi Dave-

Glad you enjoyed it!  I have a few other flags that I will post over the next couple of days.  Have a good Memorial Day....