Mauser P-38

Candacestonestreet86

Candacestonestreet86

This is my Mauser P-38, I found out the grips were added sometime in the 60s bought from a sporting goods store, so I replaced them with some newly made bakelite grips and got a repro holster for it. Eventually I'd like to find some original grips and an original holster

20210412_145055.jpg

20210412_145050.jpg

20210413_130414.jpg

20210413_130332.jpg

20210413_130436.jpg

20210412_145021.jpg

20210413_130340.jpg

20210412_144925.jpg

Very interesting grips.  I have seen the Franzite grips before but I have not seen them with dealer markings such as yours.  

Candacestonestreet86

This was in my friend's father's collection of military weapons, I used to go over their house and that was the first place I wanted to check out was the gun safe, so when my friend's parents passed on they sold some of the weapons to me.

I noticed the grip didn't fit well together in the hand, like it was slightly off so I took them off and noticed they were replacement grips from a sporting goods store. Thought that was interesting, maybe the originals got cracked/broken and he found some in a catalog. 

I do have some questions about it, mainly the Belgium stamp, was it reissued as a police side arm? Not too familiar what that stamp means.

OK, When you refer to the Belgium stamp, where is it & what is it ? It is known that Belgian troops utilized numerous P.38's during their Post WW2 Colonial Campaigns in Africa. Also, I don't recall exactly, but Mauser ( Code byf ) indeed may have used Belgian ( F.N. ) mfg'd components in the assembly of their production. Be advised that there are numerous sites & references to the P.38 Series all over the Web, but to truly confirm I'll need to see any / all mkgs you can provide. And on the Franzite grips, they were a major replacement grip & firearms accessories producer, & seller going way back, & were very prevalent during the early Post WW2 years. Original P.38 grips are indeed available, but like everything else, you'll need to search to determine if 'your' Mauser examples requires Black or the Reddish color ( like the cyq / Spreewerke mfg'd examples ) & they will run a few dollars, if you know what I mean. Check eBay, GunBroker, Simpson Ltd. In Ill., amongst others, But trust me, they're out there for sale. And if you're not into paying for an original pair, there's numerous quality repro versions currently available. Again, just hit the Web & start searching. Feel free to check with me if you need some assistance, at dpast32@aol.com 

Best,     Dom P. 

Hello Buddy,  Yes, without a doubt your gun was Belgian proofed at some time during its existence. 'Foreign Definitive Proof' simply means it had been fully proofed & suitable for usage. The P.V. proof is / was your basic,v standard Nitro Proof, indicating it was proofed for use with smokeless powder ammunition. It also exhibits what appear to be perhaps a 'rack number' or issue number, as evidenced by the 31 on left trigger guard. And those Belgian proofs were definitely added after its initial mfg by Mauser. Based upon b the finish & obvious tool marks, it was absolutely produced probably during 1944, IMHO. Honestly, it's quite interesting, as it obviously had another life after WW2 ? If I'm able to dig up some additional information for you I will definitely let you know. 

Best,     Dom P. 

You're quite welcome. If I were you, & even if I didn't plan on keeping it, I would still join Jan Stills 'Axis Pistols Forum', as that's where you'll find all, or at least most of the well versed, dedicated collectors. There are other Forums, but Jan's is amongst the most knowledgeable group of guys. Post the photos you posted here, along with any other relevant data. You may even wish to copy / paste the data I provided, & I'm sure someone there will bite, & hopefully enlighten you substantially as to your P.38's post-war history. Good Luck,

Best,       Dom Pastore Jr.  / dpast32