Colorful Off-To-War Banner

Fortunes Of War

Fortunes Of War

Rich-

That's a nice Golden Kite art banner.  It looks like it's in good condition and it has the hanger too!

Fortunes Of War

I agree Rich.  I'd buy them all day long for $40.00, especially the flag shaped ones.  Do you remember how much you had to pay for those two that you posted?

Fortunes Of War

This banner is a bit on the rarer side.  It commemorates a soldier's discharge from service, rather than his being inducted into the military.  The kanji characters read “Celebrating Discharge- Mr. Noze Eitaro. Fukuyama city. [From]- Ino Kanjiro”.

IMG_0037 (2).JPG

IMG_0038 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

Rich-

Wow!  That was a great deal....!

Fortunes Of War

Here is a flag shaped off to war banner.  This one is more typical of what you tend to see with the rectangular-flag nobori.  From the upper to the lower line of kanji, the characters read: “Induction”; “Loyalty and Courage is the Duty”; “Celebration!”; “Army Medical Officer Candidate”; “Matsumoto Genchi”- (the recipient); [From:] “Kazawa”- (the presenter).

IMG_5840 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

Rich-

You have some great Golden Kite art banners too!  Are these last two made out to the same guy? Or Are they for two different guys?

Fortunes Of War

Here's another banner made in an unusual shape.  I have seen this type of banner before, but it's not often seen.  It has a beautiful crossed pair of Japanese national and battle flags in the upper right-hand corner.  The kanji characters above the flags identify a celebration for a soldier going off-to-war.  Painted horizontally across the top of the white field are the five characters for Ki Buun Chokyu or “I Pray Your Military Fortunes Are Long Lasting”. The remaining lines of kanji read “Celebrating Mr. Toshio’s enrollment (enlistment), November 26, 1939. [Given by] Miyazaki Yoshio”.  A poem has also been written but is difficult to read.

IMG_0034 (2).JPG

IMG_0035 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

Rich-

Nice banners!  Are most of those that you just posted the shorter, 5-10 foot length?  The art panels are bright and appear undamaged.

Fortunes Of War

In my experience, it seems that the off to war banners and triumphant return ones are mostly of the crossed national flag, battle flag, surmounted by the Imperial Army star version.  The Golden Kite art banners are quite colorful and collectors really go for those.  Those that have outer satin trim are quite colorful and look great hanging by themselves or together.  If you have the room, banners longer than 10 feet are nice but those around 10 feet and under are perfect, in my opinion.

• 5 weeks later...
Fortunes Of War

Hi Rich-

Nice banners, thanks for posting!  Many of the Golden Kite art banners (with heavy gold paint), are now damaged due to the age of the material and the thick paint.  When rolled up for long periods of time and stored, the paint cracks and the weakened material tears.  That's what appears to have happened to your banner on the left; still a beautiful example.  

I have seen a number of nobori like these sewn together but it does not appear to have been the norm.  One grouping had four or six of the same banner, presented by different people, dedicated to the soldier going off to war.  These were all sewn together horizontally, from top to bottom.

Fortunes Of War

Here is a Golden Kite Banner that I currently own with its description: It measures approximately 18.5″ wide X 58.” long. The upper panel depicts a Golden Kite Award in the center of Japanese Battle Flag-type sunburst. The Kite design is highlighted by a combination of black and silver glitter, that give the art added dimension.  Below that is a blue squiggle design with two red kanji characters Celebrating a Soldier Going to War.  The outer edges of the nobori are lined with a deep blue silk material. The highlight of this material are the embroidered flying cranes that can be seen when held up to the light. The lower edge of the banner is finished off by a pretty gold and blue silk fringe.  The vertical line of black kanji characters say “Celebrating the Induction of Mr. Sato Tadao”.

image.png.0643b98118321306f27a85cc420955cf.pngimage.png.b1cd235abb341898a9974478d1251119.png

Fortunes Of War

Rich-

Thanks!  I'm sorry I don't have a close-up of the Golden Kite with glitter; it looks pretty nice!

• 4 weeks later...