Military Themed Kimonos

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

When I first started traveling to Japan, I was buying used kimonos to bring back to the US for the vintage clothing business.

In the first big load I bought ( maybe 500 pieces ) I found one wartime kids patriotic kimono.

Well after seeing the first one, I hard to start hunting more of these great pieces.

Like we all do after a couple of years I realized I had over 100 of them in my collection and started thinning the herd.

Here are some that I kept.

The first is a Japanese naval aviation themed kimono

kim1.jpg

vintageproductions

The next is a armor and aviation related one.

kmi2.jpg

vintageproductions

a very art deco looking aviation themed one.

kim3.jpg

Proud Kraut

I have never seen anything like this before, terrific! The blue & yellow one with the tanks is my favourite.

Fortunes Of War

Awesome collection Bob!  I might be mistaken, but I think fabric with military themes different than the ones you posted, date back at least to the early 1900's.  In Japan, propaganda was seen as a good thing because it motivated the populace to push for victory.  I guess they didn't care how it happened, as long as they won.  Bolts of fabric with military and samurai themes, flags and the like were all produced and made into clothing, primarily for the tinniest children and kids.  They probably had styles for the older kids and adults too.  I have a few of these as well and will post them if I can find them.  

vintageproductions

Mike- These are all 1930's-40's made.

I have seen the earlier ones also.

After I post some more kid ones, I will then start posting the adult size ones.

Fortunes Of War

That would be great, as I don't think I own, or have seen any of the clothing for adults.  These have become quite collectible for a segment of the historic textile community. There was an exhibit of patriotic wartime Japanese clothing done at the Ruth Funk Center for Textile Arts in Florida, perhaps 2-4 years ago.  There have been magazine articles written as well; if I can find the one I saved, I'll post images and links.

Fortunes Of War

Bob-

So, it looks like I lied; I have at least one kimono that is probably adult size. I also have a smaller one that probably fit a kid.  This first example (for an older kid), has Japanese battle flags, trophies, ships, birds and kid's toys.  

IMG_0124 (2).JPG

IMG_0125 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

Here is the second kimono that was probably for an adult or older kid. There are navy battle ships, cavalry horses, battle flags, Japanese officer dress hats with plumes, and Japanese award decorations/breast stars.  It's really colorful!

IMG_0126 (2).JPG

IMG_0127 (2).JPG

IMG_0128 (2).JPG

vintageproductions

Next one looks like a China Front with aircraft, tanks and other vehicles.

kimo1.jpg

vintageproductions

Kind of a "Go To Front" theme with different trains, an army back pack and helmets.

kim4.jpg

vintageproductions

Mike- I believe I read an article about that university display and it lead me to find this book,  Wearing Propaganda.

kimobook.jpg

Fortunes Of War

Bob-

Those are so cool, Bob!  The train that is shown in your post #15 is similar to the streetcar drawn on my tiger good luck flag that I posted in another thread.  Here is the image again, posted for this thread.  I'll try and post a few more of my kimono a bit later.  

IMG_0129 (3).JPG

Fortunes Of War

Here is another one that I came across that was packed away

IMG_0149 (2).JPG

IMG_0148 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

This is actually another larger kimono for an adult that I found packed away.  I found a couple of books too and will take photos of those and post...

IMG_0150 (2).JPG

Amazing stuff, guy!

I 'm always  a bit shocked to see depictions of child soldiers, and it seems these were quite common on Japanese propaganda.   I know other nations did as well, but the Japanese images often look almost like toddlers with uniforms  and guns.

Fortunes Of War

Here are copies of the book and magazine that I have in my collection.  They identify all types of cloth patterns, especially those with military themes.  As noted earlier, these patriotic themed patterns and clothes date back to the Russo-Japanese War period

IMG_0143 (2).JPG

IMG_0138 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

gwb123-

This is a kimono with images of very small children dressed as soldiers, per your comment.  The children appear to be quite small; toddlers at best.

IMG_0145 (2).JPG