M15 Adrian helmet questions

Apache-8

Hello there. I recently acquired this M15 helmet that I had a couple of questions about. firstly it features an ink stamp A3 right next to the vent hole in the top. Does anyone know what this is for? And secondly are there any ways to try and determine the year of manufacture beyond the colour of paint, as in my research I have struggled to find anything to determine the period of manufacturing outside of the paint which I've heard can be very inconsistent.

any help is greatly appreciated 

- Apache-8 

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 3.26.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 3.27.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 3.27.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 3.27.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 3.28.09 PM.png

Your helmet is an early  one, made before June of 1916.  These helmet first came out in mid-1915.  The  color of paint is important here as it appears it was originally painted the  lighter horizon blue (evidenced on yours by a scrape in the front visor where it shows through, and in the  crown of the  interior where the A3 is.)  In June 1916 the helmets were manufactured used the darker color, and the existing ones with the horizon blue were painted over with a brush, as yours is.  Also important is that yours has the  first model liner, which was put  in the  helmet until the last part of 1915 when the  second model liner began being used.  Check the article I posted on the  other thread for details about the liner.  Your helmet would not have been of the first run since it is riveted on the sides.  So, I would argue your helmet was made between the  end of 1915 and early 1916.

Steve