Japanese Yosegaki Hinomaru W/ Mt Fuji Drawing

knd643

Got this beautiful Japanese Yosegaki Hinomaru with a Mt Fuji drawing on it a couple months ago from the same seller I got my other flag that I just posted in another topic. Dan King also kindly translated it for me. Got it framed and hung up next to my other flag. Here's the translation(the numbers in the 2nd photo correspond to the translation):

1. Prayers for Long Life and victory in battle 
2. For Mr. Shimazaki (no first name) 

3. December 1, 1939 
4. Sincere loyalty in service to the nation
The stamp on the flag is from the Minatogawa Jinja in Kobe. Its dedicated to Masashige Kusunoki, whose family crest  is the floating mum. Here is the temple's website if curious. http://www.minatogawajinja.or.jp/

1.jpg

2.png

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

3 Flags Framed.jpg

Fortunes Of War

Nice looking flags; were they framed using UV protected glass or acrylic?  I like the looks of the Minatogawa shrine seal with the floating mum.  I know of some collectors who want a flag with that seal.  As far as they are concerned, the seal is what they really want and the flag is secondary.  That goes to show you the power of the story that surrounds Masashige Kusunoki.  Thanks for posting!

Thanks. They were framed with UV protected glass. I didn't realize that that seal was so popular. I've looked into the history of the shrine and Masashige Kusunoki some and it is very fitting for someone possibly going to war wanting to have that seal on their flag.

Fortunes Of War

Yes, you are right!  His was the legendary example of the samurai (soldier) doing his duty for his lord (the emperor), even in the face of grave odds.  Masashige Kusunoki was the epitome of the warrior who pushed himself and his men to the upper limits; he was brilliant and skillful.  Prior to his death, he knew that it was likely he would probably face defeat.  When his troops were defeated, he took his own life, as did his brother earlier on.  In fact, I think it was his brother who is credited with saying, "My regret is that I don't have seven lives to give (offer up) in the defense of my country."  That became one of the most classic of slogans written on good luck flags during World War Two.