Navy Camo Helmet

Fortunes Of War

Fortunes Of War

This navy anchor helmet belongs to a friend.  It has an underlay of "dead grass" khaki paint and is over streaked with a pea green appearing paint that has been seen on a number of Pacific veteran bring-backs.  The chin ties are bloodied and cut, although the liner is a great shape!  It is Kobe Steel and size "Large" marked.  The helmet is named to a "Nakahito".  The numbers 362 are painted inside the helmet's dome and there is an interesting white "Chevy" marked emblem painted on the top.    

IMG_0253 (2).JPG

IMG_0254 (2).JPG

IMG_0255 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

Agreed!  The inner khaki color is standard, while the outer color has an orange-streaked shade mixed here and there across the surface.

Fortunes Of War

Leo-

Yes, it's a pea green shade that has shown up on various bring-back helmets over the years.  To add a little more context to this helmet: it was a bring-back and was sold to its next owner, by the veteran sometime around 1950-1952.  That owner had it for approximately 30-35 years before he sold it to my friend, I think in the late-1980's.  

21 hours ago, Fortunes Of War said:

Leo-

Yes, it's a pea green shade that has shown up on various bring-back helmets over the years.  To add a little more context to this helmet: it was a bring-back and was sold to its next owner, by the veteran sometime around 1950-1952.  That owner had it for approximately 30-35 years before he sold it to my friend, I think in the late-1980's.  

Very nice  

Fortunes Of War

I'm posting some authentic navy anchors for comparison...

IMG_0267 (2).JPG

IMG_0268 (2).JPG

IMG_0270 (2).JPG

IMG_0269 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

SV1976-

Thank you for your input back this way; much appreciated.  A few out there have signaled that the badge is bad.  I hate to go into a discussion about what makes a badge good or bad; the thinking has always been that the fakers will take the information and improve their modern creations.  I am highly confident in my opinion on this one.  Others don't like the helmet paint.  Believe me, I enjoy nearly all of the discussion and little of the criticism slows me down (or other collectors that I know) from buying camo painted or non-standard painted versions.  One thing I will pass along, and I had not heard this until now but a reliable collector tells me that the person(s) responsible for the fake SS "champagne" helmets is now making fake Japanese painted helmets.  If that is correct, that is bad news for anyone hoping to add one to their collection; buyer beware.    

7 hours ago, Fortunes Of War said:

SV1976-

Thank you for your input back this way; much appreciated.  A few out there have signaled that the badge is bad.  I hate to go into a discussion about what makes a badge good or bad; the thinking has always been that the fakers will take the information and improve their modern creations.  I am highly confident in my opinion on this one.  Others don't like the helmet paint.  Believe me, I enjoy nearly all of the discussion and little of the criticism slows me down (or other collectors that I know) from buying camo painted or non-standard painted versions.  One thing I will pass along, and I had not heard this until now but a reliable collector tells me that the person(s) responsible for the fake SS "champagne" helmets is now making fake Japanese painted helmets.  If that is correct, that is bad news for anyone hoping to add one to their collection; buyer beware.    

At first the badge was a tough call. The correct details are there though. Imo it's 100% legit. Like I said above the paint makes it tough. I also have pics of this one and a few other camos taken in the late 80's or early 90's. This is the exact configuration it was in back then.