Submarines at sheltered dock.

Jack the Collector

• 1 month later...
snake36bravo
3 hours ago, Jack the Collector said:

No,there isn't writing on the back.So I am down to comparing the fixtures and construction to other photos of known locations when I see them.

It is Saint Nazaire. I should've known. Having just watched the 5hr 43min version of Das Boot I had La Rochelle firmly in my mind. You have some nice U-boat images. 

Saint Nazaire during the war -

U-boats-in-base-during-the-war.jpg.81382b5533101beee2af1ee0ca8ac40d.jpg

And today

View-of-a-typical-cell-for-submarines.jpg.9cb54d54a4543455f28fefafb58077df.jpg

Jack the Collector

First eye test comparison says you are right,then I saw where the lights are positioned and they are different.Maybe its the angle of the shot ?

snake36bravo

That's correct because your photograph shows a pen looking out to sea. The other shows the pen looking inward. More lighting was added over time and there were multiple double pens for U-Boats. 

The lights on the right in your photograph at the top would be the lights on left in the bottom photo.

Of note is the U-boats all entered these pens by the bow. Both the drecklich modern remake of Das Boot and the original teleseries show U-96 with it's bow pointed out to sea which would not have been correct. 

1644128099_forJack.jpg.6f212eb629cdfe3cb386fa2ed43d6eda.jpg

Jack the Collector

Good to know,thanks.I often tell collector friends,one of the biggest mistakes I am making collecting original photos is I have not bought near enough KM photos.

snake36bravo
18 hours ago, Jack the Collector said:

Good to know,thanks.I often tell collector friends,one of the biggest mistakes I am making collecting original photos is I have not bought near enough KM photos.

From an affordability standpoint Kriegsmarine photos are not at the level of prices for original Panzer photographs however KM photos, particularly U-boat related, can get pricey.

I'm currently looking for a wartime signed Erich Topp who in a strange twist of fate sank the first US navy warship in WW2 before the US had entered the war, the USS Reuben James. One of my German relatives, Fireman Second Class George (Georg) Giehrl, who had emigrated to America from my hometown of Michelfeld i.d.Opf and joined the US Navy happened to be serving on when she was torpedoed and sank. 

https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/2019/01/24/sinking-the-uss-reuben-james/

On 8/31/2021 at 1:12 PM, Jack the Collector said:

I will check with my sources for one and let you know.

Thank you. 

Looking forward to seeing more of your photos.