Just picked up these buckles - Franco-era badges and early 1900s Spanish Artillery Buckle

Boy Howdy

I know the brass square buckle is Artillery but I am not familiar with the three oval cross strap plates.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated and acknowledged.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

For the two ovals that have the eagle with the quartered arms in the center . . . try Spain, 1938-45. 

Sure does look like it.

Thank you very much Ms. Liz.

I know the brass Artillery buckle is Spain,Alphonso XIII, 1902-1931.

Oh, I see your reply! That's cool! I'd guess the fourth is Spanish, too, as the design and back are so similar. So far, haven't found that particular design. Still looking! :)

You know . . . everytime it is an Eagle insignia and I'm trying to ID, it turns out to be Franco. I should just start typing that their Franco right off! -grin- 

I think it may be an officers' buckle due to the construction.

Can't find the exact picture of it anywhere so far.

Out of curiosity . .. on that last oval badge, is the red of the crown actually that red backing showing through?

Just now, stratasfan said:

Oh, I see your reply! That's cool! I'd guess the fourth is Spanish, too, as the design and back are so similar. So far, haven't found that particular design. Still looking! :)

You know . . . everytime it is an Eagle insignia and I'm trying to ID, it turns out to be Franco. I should just start typing that their Franco right off! -grin- 

LOL 😆

1 minute ago, stratasfan said:

Out of curiosity . .. on that last oval badge, is the red of the crown actually that red backing showing through?

It might be.

I just bought these on the bay today.

Not in hand as of yet.

Now you have peaked my curiosity too.

Super fun items! You'll have to post once you get them. I'm intrigued by that red backing. Really wonder if that is what you see through the front! :) 

Great! I'm editing the title and moving this thread to Spain, so that the discussion can continue now that they are ID'd! Look forward to seeing them!

21 minutes ago, stratasfan said:

Great! I'm editing the title and moving this thread to Spain, so that the discussion can continue now that they are ID'd! Look forward to seeing them!

thank you!

The buckles arrived today.

The red showing through the crown is between the crown and the badge.

Enjoy.

thumbnail_processed (5).jpg

thumbnail_processed (6).jpg

thumbnail_processed (7).jpg

According to a Spanish website that sells replica badges the oval ones with the St. Johns Eagle is:

Medida: 6 x 4,20 cms. aprox. Sin imperdible. Placa del Cuerpo de Investigación periodo 1938-1942. Franco reorganizó este organismo y le incorporó el águila de San Juan. Posteriormente, le daría el nombre de Cuerpo General de Policía a partir del 1942.

Which, according to google translate, means:

1938 SPANISH SECURITY AND INVESTIGATION BADGE

Measure: 6 x 4.20 cms. approx. Without safety pin. Plate of the Investigation Corps period 1938-1942. Franco reorganized this body and incorporated the San Juan Eagle. Later, he would give it the name of the General Police Corps as of 1942

This is the second version:

POLICE GENERAL CORPS PLATE 1942 . Plaque of the extinct general police force period 1942 - 1954, Franco period. Observe the eagle of San Juan, and read the legends "A great free" and "General Directorate of Security".

Measure: 5 x 4 cms. High quality metal. Flat without safety pin.

So, I would have to say mine date from between 1938-1942. 🙂

placa-cuerpo-general-policia-1942.jpg

Super cool info and those badges look even better with the new pictures! Really striking! That buckle is really nice looking, too. Love the detail!

Thank you very much.

I just happened to be trolling through the bay and saw this grouping.

Pretty sure the buckle is for an officer. I have been told they are rare and hard to find.

I looked on the best website I know for Spanish Colonial items and he didn't have one.

Had to have it even though I didn't know what 75% of it was.

Research is half the fun,eh?