Afghan National Army Uniform, 2007

Brian Keith

Brian Keith

I picked up this ANA uniform when I was deployed to AFG in 2012-2013. An Afghan friend of mine got it for me. Not sure how he got it on the base, I didn’t ask. I added the locally made name tape, “Mohammad” (in multicam) and the AFG Flag insignia's from my linguist’s uniforms. Note that the cloth was US made, but was sewn in Afghanistan. It is basically the same pattern as the ACU uniform, but the chest rank Velcro is three times as long. It is a 2007 pattern, made in 2009. I like this pattern camo much better than the US ACU pattern.

Comments Welcome, Thanks for looking,

BKW

Looks like the photos are not oriented like I had them. some weird computer issue I guess, sorry.

Photos of trousers to follow.

P7270422.JPG

P7270424.JPG

P7270426.JPG

Brian Keith

I asked “Gizmo”, the Afghan interpreter who gave me this uniform, to translate the tag, this is what he wrote:

“This uniform is only can be used by member of Afghan National Army if used by anyone not member of Afghan National will be punished in accordance to the Afghan law.”

Thanks for looking,

BKW

Gizmo note 001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Jim McCauley
On 8/4/2021 at 6:48 PM, Brian Keith said:

Cool! Does your have any insignia?

BKW

Hello Brian.

It didn't have any insignia attached when I found it. 

In spring 2012 we moved into a compound that had been used by ANA soldiers.  I noticed the jacket peaking out of a pile of trash that had been cleaned out of a former ANA barracks.  Later I went back to the same pile to do a little more digging and voila, the matching set of pants. 

As I was co-located with ANA soldiers, I was able to put proper insignia together to add to the uniform.  The only part I never scored was a nametag.

Best regards.

Jim