Why were the Nazis so stylish?

gwb123

This is a bit of pop history I stumbled over on Youtube.  It asks an interesting question... why do people 70 years after WWII often point to SS and Nazi uniforms as being sharp and stylish?  

We could extend that question to why are they so eagerly sought by collectors?

This is not a deep dissertation on button holes and collar clasps, but it does put out some interesting points.

There is a significant blooper that the narrator makes when trying to explain the difference between the regular Army and the Waffen SS, which he explains were just infantry without tanks or guns.  But if you can get past that groaner, its an interesting look at how uniforms can become a fashion statement.

easterneagle87

I saw this as well. Interesting points. The one word he doesn't use, but is inferred is; ELITIST. I think there is such an interest in these uniforms is not only that they look good, but we as collectors also see these units as "elite".  At the beginning of this video he mentions his experience in the US Marine Corps - aka - The Few, The Proud, etc. As for uniforms, I think in the collectors world,  the SS is seen as kind of the same. They were the "bad" guys. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2021 at 6:02 PM, easterneagle87 said:

I saw this as well. Interesting points. The one word he doesn't use, but is inferred is; ELITIST. I think there is such an interest in these uniforms is not only that they look good, but we as collectors also see these units as "elite".  At the beginning of this video he mentions his experience in the US Marine Corps - aka - The Few, The Proud, etc. As for uniforms, I think in the collectors world,  the SS is seen as kind of the same. They were the "bad" guys. 

I've long called USMC stuff the SS of the US collecting hobby. Prices can be disproportionately high, there's a disproportionate following, and competition can get nasty and cutthroat

• 2 months later...