Drag guard on type 98 sheath

Ben@HI

Probably nothing but I thought it was strange and seeing as I'm posting strange stuff tonight I figured why not. Right before I left hawaii I picked up a junk lot of japanese sword parts and sheaths. Mostly what you would expect. Mix of war time stuff and pre war civilian. This one stuck out to me because it had a drag guard which I have never seen on what is otherwise a normal a ww2 shin gunto sheath before. Not sure what that is all about but it's a new one to me and the couple of people I showed it to were stumped as well.

KIMG0415.JPG

KIMG0413.JPG

KIMG0396.JPG

It looks like a commercially made drag for an Army Shin-Ginto.  I presume the other fittings are standard Army mounts?  

Thanks for the pictures.  Your scabbard looks like a standard private purchase sword scabbard for a Shin-Gunto with nice regulation mounts.  I think the drag has maker and patent markings on it.  Just a nice high quality scabbard from what I can see.

• 3 weeks later...

That particular ishizuke (drag) is a bit of a more difficult feature to find in the Type 98 guntos.  If I recall correctly, that would have been a special order item at the request of the buyer, most likely for the longer blade length.