Austrian Officer M1884 Polizei Pickelhaube

SARGE

Gents,

This is an Imperial Austrian police helmet for the Vienna Police (Sicherheitswache).  It has a black painted metal body instead of  one of the German spike helmet bodies which normally have a leather body.  These policemen were considered to be Officials (Beamte) in WWI Austria and this helmet is for an officer since it has a metal scale chin strap rather than one made of black leather.  These policemen were folded into the German Polizei structure during WWII.  They took a new oath, got German Police uniforms, and functioned as German Schutzpolizei and Gendarmerie until the end of WWII.  They then went back to being Austrian Policemen once again.  Interestingly, Austrian Policemen continued to wear this spike helmet as late as 1933 according to photographs found in a period special edition of "Bergland" magazine covering the Austrian Polizei.  

Aust Pol helmet.JPG

Aust Pol helmet wappen.JPG

Aust Pol spike.JPG

Aust Pol rondel.JPG

Truly a beautiful piece! Thank you for sharing. Do you happen to have a picture showing one of the policemen wearing Pickelhaube similar to this?

18 hours ago, GCCE1854 said:

Truly a beautiful piece! Thank you for sharing. Do you happen to have a picture showing one of the policemen wearing Pickelhaube similar to this?

Here are a few photos from the special 1933 edition of "Bergland" magazine that I mentioned.  Photos of the use of a prisoner transport vehicle (aka Paddy Wagon), some mounted police with foot policemen in front of the horse line, and a dog handler wearing the helmet.  The best illustration is on the cover showing the center policeman wearing this specific helmet with its distinctive spike and front plate.

Aust Bergland magazine.JPG

Aust Bergland mag closeup.JPG

Aust Bergland paddy wagon.JPG

Aust Bergland mounted pol.JPG

Aust Bergland dog handler.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

I was just re-watching the Austrian police mystery TV series "Vienna Blood" on PBS and the Vienna Policemen are wearing this same Pickelhaube and uniform from the turn of the century... circa 1900.  Most are seen wearing the enlisted version of this helmet with the plain black leather chin strap with a large rectangular buckle.  Officers seem to be mostly wearing caps rather than helmets.

I thought it was interesting and the TV program is an interesting, and entertaining, mystery procedural as well.  I recommend it.