Interesting Yellow 1000 Stitch Belt

Fortunes Of War

Fortunes Of War

I recently picked up this rare-ish yellow 1000 stitch belt in a collection acquisition.  Some senninbari are sort of run of the mill examples, but this one is quite colorful.  It also has an unusual white and red silk patch sewn to the front.  I'd be interested in seeing anyone else's stitch belts.  

yellow senninbari (2).jpg

yellow senninbari patch (2).jpg

It's an interesting and attractive senninbari Mike, congrats!

I'm most interested in the white patch. It appears to be named to 武長 Takenaga (family name) 運久 Yukihisa (given name). With the surrounding elements being army stars and (I'm unsure about this from the photo) anchors. If anchors, he may have belonged to an army shipping unit. Are the red elements stamped in ink?

Thanks for sharing it. 

Fortunes Of War

Hi Rod-

Yes, the red and white silk patch was pre-printed and then sewn to the yellow center-front.  The alternating Army star and Navy anchor enabled the belt to be presented to either a navy man or someone in the army service.  The pre-printed belts were sold in stores and as such, undoubtedly cost more than those that were strictly homemade.  The four kanji characters arranged around the patch say: Buun Chokyu or "May Your Military Fortunes Be Long Lasting" (also translated as "Everlasting Battle Fortunes", "Good Luck on the Battlefield", etc.)  This tended to be the most popular slogan, prominently added to many 1000 Stitch Belts or Good Luck Flags.

Thanks Mike. Holy cow, how I didn't recognize Buun Chokyu when it's obvious I don't know. Having a moment I guess. Although I don't collect these I've seen many photos of them, including in your first book, and of course most have that slogan written in. 

Still, a great piece!

Fortunes Of War

Hello Rod-

Hey, no worries!  Most of us are used to seeing Buun Chokyu (or Ki Buun Chokyu) written in a standard horizontal or vertical fashion with the characters all in one line.  Here is a good luck flag with vertical slogan on the right and a senninbari with a horizontal slogan across the top.  At times you will see Buun Chokyu with characters posted in each of the four corners (like the patch on the 1000 stitch belt.)  In other instances it might be written with the kanji scattered in other patterns.  This was not common but was seen enough.  (See accompanying photos.)  

1374507237_Chapter1111.9.jpg.739d069820493081af063c583e392097.jpg

801610385_Chapter1212.3.jpg.0bb2e2ca19f6dfa6eb45126c624926bc.jpg

1374179949_IMG_5918(2).JPG.04d6cbba2f2aff6f6167a23f87beba70.JPG

image.png.e55d0a7f56ea801c00c615d041e315a6.png