Japanese Flag found in Antique Shop - Help with info and price

Peyton41

I found this flag about 4 months ago in an antique shop near my school. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to these flags or how much they are worth so I'd appreciate any help. Thanks 

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

1 hour ago, Ivydiv said:

Looks like a nice Army Rising Sun flag.  Good fine.

Any idea what a reasonable price would be?

One that size also with "gold" leather corners sold for $199.99 on ebay. The listing said, "With Gold Leather Corners. Measures 36 1/2” W x 26” H"

Yours had holes punched in the corners to use what looks like parachute cord. Not having the original cord could affect value.

Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 9.18.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 9.19.01 AM.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403044334147

Nice flag- we usually sell the rising sun ones around $200-250.  I think that is considered an "Army" pattern flag.  I think the ties show on your are original to the flag and just a variation in manufacture.

Fortunes Of War

Sorry for not replying sooner; I have been under the weather for the last week, but am hopefully "back up and at it"!  Your flag appears to have the gold foil paper tabs, rather than leather.  While leather is nicer (a bit more high end), that shouldn't add or detract too much from the value.  I agree that the ties are probably original.  Rising sun flags are becoming a bit tough to find and prices have gone up beyond the $250 range in a number of recent cases.  The larger the flag (as long as it's still in an easily displayable size), the higher the price.  Three by five feet flags, in the past, have normally brought around $500-$750 or a bit more, depending upon condition.  The price tends to be higher too when the flag is termed a navy version (offset meatball).  There was a rash of reproduction Japanese battle flags that hit the market in the 1970's and those are now approaching a time where they show age and darkening of the material.  They will continue to be a thorn in the side of collectors going forward.