Commando TREPEL cap badge, 1st type.

numbersix

I believe this is a 1st type Commando Trepel cap badge. The French Maritime Commando were formed in 1947, in the manner of the WW2 British Commando. Commando TREPEL is named in honour of Capt Charles Trepel, KIA 18FEB44 in the Netherlands. All the Maritime Commando are named in honour of French Officers KIA in WW2 or Indochina (French VietNam). As far as I can tell this cap badge was not in use for very long.

IMG_6520.JPG.7444866acae591daf7d8aba4047d498f.JPG

IMG_6517.JPG.c897b4b5a05f5edcff5fdb5ec7bb5087.JPGIMG_6519.JPG.98719115239f8ffa3764d1afb847c5d9.JPGIMG_6518.JPG.30b163cdc96c8132fe530e9965683449.JPGIMG_6516.JPG.9b247f5e8229cb74376ab8a9fa9c40aa.JPG

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this is a copy.  I have a copy of the book, "Insignia of the French Commandos WW2 to Present A Collectors Guide by Harry Pugh & Gilbert Lafleur".  On page 111 is a picture of this badge (see below) identifying it as a "Richard" copy.  The badge in your photos has a hallmark of "RICHARD" so I don't think there is any doubt.  The other hallmark of "M. CHAUVET" was the name of a Corporal who designed this beret badge.  It looks like only a few examples were produced in the UK before the design was rejected so an original has got to be super rare if any survived the war.  This book described this badge as follows:

"Commando Trepe, WW-II (Richard copy).  Captain Trepel, while commanding Troop 8, 10th Commando requested that Corporal Chauvet, a member of the unit, to design a unit insignia.  On [Only] a few samples were made in Great Britain until the design was rejected and replaced by that of the 1st B.F.M.C.  CPT Trepel would later disappear in February 1944 while on a raid on the Netherlands coast and the unit would take his name."

DSCF1656.JPG

No harm done, and thank you for enlightening me, your explanation makes perfect sense. My post was based on my own research on the internet as I had no idea what it was; the only photo I had found originally did not show any real detail: I dug my own hole.

9 minutes ago, numbersix said:

No harm done, and thank you for enlightening me, your explanation makes perfect sense. My post was based on my own research on the internet as I had no idea what it was; the only photo I had found originally did not show any real detail: I dug my own hole.

It happens to everybody which is why these sometimes rather expensive reference books are worthwhile investments as it can save you money in the long run.  

I got the badge amongst some other old French military items about 20 years ago so it has not cost me anything, and I have learned more about it here than I could anywhere else, thanks to your explanation, so I feel I am very much ahead on this.