Zittau Stadtpolizei Pickelhaube

SARGE

Gents,

I picked up a very nice City of Zittau (Saxony) Police spike helmet at SOS that I thought I would show. Erich Radecke, "Polizei-Abzeichen Helme - Heraldik - Historie" 1.Band - bis 1918 talks about this helmet on page 56 of his book. He shows the helmet star that is on my helmet with the gilt emblem of Zittau backed with green leather placed on a Neusilber police star insignia. My helmet has a black leather body with Neusilber fittings as shown on other Sachsische kommunalen Polizei helmets. The spike is the short ball topped spike with a pearl ring at the base as seen on other municipal German Police spike helmets. The spike base has four lobes secured with plain bolts. The chinstrap is leather covered with flat scalloped scales with a distinctive screw-bolt fastening. The interesting red and white cockades are the same on both sides and are in the city colors of Zittau instead of the state colors of Saxony. This is correct for Saxony City Police helmets according to Radecke.

A very nice example of a City Police (Stadtpolizei) helmet that I was happy to find at the show.

Anyone else bring home something interesting from SOS?

Zit Pol helmet front.JPG

Zit Pol helmet badge.JPG

Zit Pol helmet L.JPG

Zit Pol helmet R.JPG

Zit Pol helmet interior.JPG

Thanks guys.  I thought the condition was exceptional and I was happy to find it at SOS.  While this is a smaller city in Saxony it is made in the same style as those helmets from the larger cities with municipal police forces such as Berlin in Prussia.  

• 1 month later...

Sarge,

Very nice Pickelhaube indeed. These helmets can get addicting; I got back into collecting them last year and they are fascinating items.

Best regards,

John

Thanks for the kudos gents.  

Here is the same style of Municipal Police helmet but this one was worn by the Berlin Police in Prussia.

Berlin helm.JPG