Malaysian GGK cloth Parachute wings and shoulder tabs.

numbersix

I believe this set of cloth patches belong to the Malaysian 21 Grup Gerak Khas (21st Special Service Group), GGK. The cloth Malaysian Parachute Wings, black embroidered parachute wings on the reverse of Malaysian brushstroke camouflage cloth, are worn by jump qualified personel. The green part of the camouflage pattern is visible on the photo of the reverse. This is worn with Airborne shoulder tab and a GERAKHAS shoulder tab.

IMG_6536.JPG.47f1521ec5009fef26016d0a089e8806.JPG

IMG_6538.JPG.870c61c7dc7480107c19f496a39be836.JPG

IMG_6537.JPG.24b2af6a9904c38f9271062bea0ae9f0.JPG

IMG_6539.JPG.2da7dc39212d2ce7356706684abbf5c9.JPG

IMG_6540.JPG.71dfbd0397f393dc37191deb9a57c5d1.JPG

Nice grouping.  I found this article about this group on the Internet (see link below).  I don't own any of these but I have some reference photos (attached) of their beret badge(s) and metal versions of their paratrooper wings.

https://rojakdaily.com/news/article/4546/meet-the-group-of-tough-people-who-are-secretly-keeping-you-safe

Malaya.JPG

Malaya6.JPG

Malaya5.JPG

I have only seen the cap badge in the South-East Asian Special Forces elite series Osprey book (#33), I did not know there were variations in the backing and I have not seen the metal version of the Parachute Wings before. 

I have to confess this grouping were a surprise find, as my main interest was the camouflage uniform; there were no insignia sewn on. The patches were in the pocket of a Malaysian brush stroke camouflage jacket, I assume they were originally on the jacket and had been removed at some stage. The jacket is an aertex cotton material whereas the trousers were plain cotton weave. I think the Parachute Wings are embroidered on the same sort of material as the trousers are made of. I don't have the trousers any more but I have these photos of them, the first one shows the material best : IMG_6403.JPG.1b52a41397513e1ce36684933589dba2.JPG

IMG_6400.JPG.b36e6eab2c6f972926e136e805a474e0.JPG

IMG_6401.JPG.4129b2e2216be87f973300ac04d3acd3.JPG

• 1 year later...

When I was working in Malaysia in the late 1980's, The Malaysian Special Forces or Gerakhas were wearing the brush camouflage uniforms as shown above. It was very effective in the bush. They used the reverse side of cloth material for embroidered cloth insignia. Malaysia has seven levels of parachute qualification as noted in the Bragg & Turner Book, Parachute Wings and described as B&T 1500 plus the "A" thru "F" devices. The basic parachute wings has no device at the top. Then there are senior & master parachutist and Military Free Fall wings.  The highest rating is the Parachute Jump Instructor with the crown and then two more ratings: Amphibious Parachutist( Combat Diver) and Parachute Rigger.  The bullion examples are shown below.

IMG_3060.JPG

Here are older obsolete Malaysian Parachute Rigger wings in Metal and bullion.  These are in the Bragg & Turner Book, Parachute Wings, as B&T 1483 and 1496.

Malaysia Rigger.JPG

These are circa 1988 cloth Malaysian Parachute wings plus the pathfinder and sniper badges at the top right in the left photo. All the badges in the left photo are embroidered on the reverse side of the brush camo material.

The right photo has the newer style Malaysian parachute badges. Note the change in design of the pathfinder badge and different material. These are machine made.

1988 Cloth wings.jpg

Malaysia.jpg

You are quite correct. The British influence on Malaysia cannot be over stated. Here are some Malaysian Parachute wings that I was able to obtain in 1988. All of these wings were obsolete at that time, but could still be found in shops that catered to the Malaysian Military. The two in the lower right were from the Malaysian Special Service Regiment (MSSR). The three British looking wings are from the 1967-1970 period.

IMG_3072.JPG

• 2 weeks later...