WWI French Croix de Guerre with Odd Black Ribbon

militbuff

This WWI Croix de Guerre came with a two U.S. WWI medals from a man who served in the U.S. Army in France during the war.  I’m not sure what he did in the war as there were only two other medals: a NJ state service medal and a US Victory medal with a France clasp.

Why would the Croix de Guerre have a black ribbon?  Perhaps a mourning ribbon but I’m pretty sure he survived the war.  Any ideas would be much appreciated.

D9F1BCF4-24F1-4AF2-B28A-2896F8FEA55C.jpeg

E2B774ED-0A17-4BCD-A025-8A0F1706396D.jpeg

5CFDBFD0-77C6-43F1-BAE6-084C7A62B22A.jpeg

2 hours ago, SARGE said:

My first thought would be perhaps he used it as a watch fob?  

That’s an interesting thought.  Since watch fobs were before my time, is that what they looked like?

Yes, they typically had a snap like the one on the end of your short chain to attach to the pocket watch ring at the stem and a cloth, or metal, fob to dangle out of the pocket  for something to grab onto to remove the watch from the pant or vest pocket in order to tell the time.  

3 hours ago, SARGE said:

Yes, they typically had a snap like the one on the end of your short chain to attach to the pocket watch ring at the stem and a cloth, or metal, fob to dangle out of the pocket  for something to grab onto to remove the watch from the pant or vest pocket in order to tell the time.  

That makes sense.  Perhaps the black ribbon matched his suit.