Crimea Homefront Commemoratives

stratasfan

Something that I've loved browsing for are Crimean War commemoratives and homefront items. It is really quite interesting to see what kind of "souvenirs" were made for the homefront back in the 1800s to commemorate the Crimean War - battles, leaders, etc.

If you have or have seen others, feel free to post them here! 

I'll start with one that I really am always drawn to - a Staffordshire china figurine that shows the rulers of England, France and Turkey. There are several different styles, but all very similar.

This one is in the Collection of the National Trust. It measures 256mm high. The rulers are Sultan Abd-ul-Medjid, Sultan of Turkey (1823-1861), Queen Victoria (1819-1901) and the Emperor Napoleon III, Emperor of France (1808-1873).

image.png

Here is another in the National Trust Collection, this one measures 28 mm tall.

image.png

Here are two little pots/bottles/jugs that have illustrations of events in the Crimea:

image.png

image.png

(Somewhere I saw these had fish paste in them, but anyone know if that is correct?)

• 2 weeks later...

This is a fascinating piece that comes up in searches for me all the time. Not sure about any details, but it was listed (looks like years ago) on eBayUK. It's titled "Inkerman Charm Bracelet", but it's obviously more of a watch fob or something of that sort. It includes charms featuring a rifle, a sabre, a cannon, a pistol, something that looks like a spear, and an Inkerman charm with three flags.

If anyone can add info about this piece, I'd be very interested! Thanks.

image.png.595df00ba644b615744286e34fceb7c3.png

image.png.9a795060056eb5531102d0efaec54c4e.png

image.png.cac7ce1ab9321973fbcba85af7ec0ca7.png

image.png.811b27e5a91375ba471063c425c747f9.png

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@JerryBB What lovely pieces you have! Thanks for sharing, as I loved seeing them. Any chance you have the envelope or names for the Christmas card? It would be so interesting to try and find out about them.