One of my Favorite Bundeswehr Luftwaffe Officer Tunic

usmedalman

This heavy dark blue wool officer's tunic to a Lieutenant-Colonel is just stunning. Private purchase KKB tunic with the true French Cuffs and bullion cuff bands and collar tabs. Just one of my favorites and complete with 1957-er ribbon bar. I believe this would date from the 1960s although I don't believe the KKB codes include a manufacturing date.

Even found some directions written on cigarette paper and a bus ticket in the pocket.

IMG_4401.JPG

IMG_4402.JPG

IMG_4406.JPG

IMG_4409.JPG

IMG_4411.JPG

Pockets stretch.jpg

A very nice BW Luftwaffe Col. tunic.  An interesting 57er ribbon bar as well.  It seems he spent his war jumping out of airplanes with the award of the Parachutist Badge (Fallschirmschutzenabzeichen) as well as riding gliders with his Operational Flying Clasp (Frontflug-Spange fur Kampfflieger).  

Its a shame post-war items like this attributed to veterans have lost all their details. The 57'er badges refers to a historical narrative that is simply gone to time now.  

Beautiful tunic! 

I like the 57-er awards, too. The BW made a smart move by allowing the wear of de-Nazified awards to acknowledge that wartime heroism and service are separate from politics. And given that the BW played a key role in the defense of Western Europe during the Cold War, these combat veterans were important to the development of new units being created.