New member saying hello

JJS80

Hi everyone, my name is Joshua. I am a new member of this forum. I have always been very interested in US and world history especially World War II history mostly the Pacific theater. I recently have gotten into studying and learning about the Japanese good luck flags. I recently made my first purchase I will share a picture with everyone I would love to see some of everyone else’s flags. I have also learned that these flags are not the easiest to locate and there are a lot of fakes. I plan to keep buying more to keep the history alive behind these relics. My dream with ultimately be to find one from the Pacific theater preferably Iwo Jima. I am glad to be a member of this forum and I’m looking forward to meeting and networking with fellow historians and collectors to see what other opportunities may be out there. 

Kind Regards,

Josh S

95C2B302-EE3D-49D7-B50D-89736870BC51.jpeg

43C1808A-D578-4512-8A4A-6F75BE7C1373.jpeg

9EE5C9F3-5BCC-4DE9-B3B1-2BF4C22DF020.jpeg

Fortunes Of War

Hello Josh and welcome to the Forum!  From time to time you will see that a number of good luck flags are posted here.  It makes it nice, especially for new collectors, to see a lot of different examples, so that you can begin to get familiar with the various kinds or styles.  Your flag is a beautiful silk example and is currently posted upside down; the corner tabs should be on the right-hand side in order to view it correctly.  The largest vertical line of characters say Ki Buun Chokyu or "I Pray Your Military Fortunes Are Long Lasting".  It's hard to read any of the names, but it appears that a few have the same last name, most appear different.  Your flag also has a "Inspected in the Field" or Allied Intel stamp on it.  In years past, these were once a bit more common to see than today.  You are lucky to have a flag with that stamped on it.  The seal was an indication that Allied intelligence had inspected the flag and there was no valuable information to be had from it.  Most guys did not bother with having their flags and many other souvenirs inspected (paperwork, photos and other ephemera was often a different story.)  Rather, they simply folded up the bring back and put it into their pack or stored it away in other gear.  Very nice example and thank you for sharing.  It looks like maybe someone has helped translate your booklet as well.  Did it come from the same sources as the flag?    

10 hours ago, Fortunes Of War said:

Hello Josh and welcome to the Forum!  From time to time you will see that a number of good luck flags are posted here.  It makes it nice, especially for new collectors, to see a lot of different examples, so that you can begin to get familiar with the various kinds or styles.  Your flag is a beautiful silk example and is currently posted upside down; the corner tabs should be on the right-hand side in order to view it correctly.  The largest vertical line of characters say Ki Buun Chokyu or "I Pray Your Military Fortunes Are Long Lasting".  It's hard to read any of the names, but it appears that a few have the same last name, most appear different.  Your flag also has a "Inspected in the Field" or Allied Intel stamp on it.  In years past, these were once a bit more common to see than today.  You are lucky to have a flag with that stamped on it.  The seal was an indication that Allied intelligence had inspected the flag and there was no valuable information to be had from it.  Most guys did not bother with having their flags and many other souvenirs inspected (paperwork, photos and other ephemera was often a different story.)  Rather, they simply folded up the bring back and put it into their pack or stored it away in other gear.  Very nice example and thank you for sharing.  It looks like maybe someone has helped translate your booklet as well.  Did it come from the same sources as the flag?    

Yes sir it did. Mr Dan King Translated it. Forgive me for the picture not showing the correct orientation. 

I am really into these flags now. I really like the battle worn really salty ones. My hope is to find one from the pacific with provenance. I would really like to have one from Peleliu - Iwo Jima. I am hoping to network with some fellow collectors and locate some more flags. 

Fortunes Of War

Josh-

Feel free to contact others here directly or PM them to see if they have any flags or sources for them.  Finding an Iwo Jima captured flag with provenance will be a stiff (and expensive!) exercise, however, best of luck in the endeavor!

Fortunes Of War

You might try scanning old posts and see who owns flags and send PM's to them.  You can ask them if they have flags for sale or if they know anyone who does.  Be sure to get clear images of anything, before you buy.  You can post those examples here for review.  You might also search the net for "Good Luck Flags, for sale".  Finally, you could add a post to the "Wanted" section here on the Forum.  

Welcome to the forum Josh. I have to compliment you on that flag as well. It's really stunning. Thank you Mod on the correct way to show these flags with the corner tabs to the right.

11 hours ago, Fortunes Of War said:

You might try scanning old posts and see who owns flags and send PM's to them.  You can ask them if they have flags for sale or if they know anyone who does.  Be sure to get clear images of anything, before you buy.  You can post those examples here for review.  You might also search the net for "Good Luck Flags, for sale".  Finally, you could add a post to the "Wanted" section here on the Forum.  

Can you post a link to the wanted section? I have found it but it seems to not work. I very may not be doing it correctly. 

Fortunes Of War

Hi JJS80-

I just double checked the link in both the "For Sale and Wanted" sections- they are active.  You must first click on the tab that gives you the rules for submission (they appear in red, right on the opening page) and read them.  Afterward, go to the tab at the lower right-hand corner of the page (Start New Topic); this allows you to list the subject (what you are looking for) and any details you choose to list.  If you are still unable to make a post, let me know and I'll give you another hand.

https://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/forum/55-wanted/

Fortunes Of War

I just double checked on that through the site Administrator and was told that members must have at least 30 substantial posts to be allowed to place something in the "Wanted" section.  Substantial means you can't simply respond to someone's post by saying "Cool item" or similar.  

I would love to see some more of everyone elses flags if anyone would like to share. I have been exploring the forums quite a bit and lots of great stuff I enjoy seeing and learning about. 

Airborne-Hunter

This is my favorite Japanese flag. Came as shown with postcards, book and capture document. This one came off Okinawa and has the censor stamp. Best ABN

IMG_2627 (2).JPG

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2629 (2).JPG

IMG_2630.JPG

IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2632.JPG

IMG_2633 (2).JPG

IMG_2634 (2).JPG

IMG_2635 (2).JPG

IMG_2636 (2).JPG

IMG_2637 (2).JPG

Airborne-Hunter

Not the best photo again. Japanese flag (perhaps American kanji?) Brought back from by Navy Corpsmen attached to the 2nd Marine Division. I forget off hand what island this came off of, but I think it may be Okinawa too. All for now. ABN

4-24-21 Japanese Flag Signed by Navy Corpsmen.jpg

On 9/16/2021 at 8:57 PM, Airborne-Hunter said:

This is my favorite Japanese flag. Came as shown with postcards, book and capture document. This one came off Okinawa and has the censor stamp. Best ABN

IMG_2627 (2).JPG

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2629 (2).JPG

IMG_2630.JPG

IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2632.JPG

IMG_2633 (2).JPG

IMG_2634 (2).JPG

IMG_2635 (2).JPG

IMG_2636 (2).JPG

IMG_2637 (2).JPG

Airborne-Hunter absolutely incredible collection. You have a flag I dream of get one day and that is on from Okinawa to complete my collection. I love yours but admit I am jealous as well lol. I bet the stories those old flags could tell would be incredible. 

• 2 weeks later...
Airborne-Hunter

I just picked up two additional flags today that I thought I would add. I loaned money to a friend of mine and after a month of waiting, he showed up with two flags. No history. He found them in Santa Cruz, California out of an estate. Best ABN

IMG_5161 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

Jim-

That first good luck flag is a nice example.  The second flag is of the type that some call the "fake" Tojo flag.  This type of flag is generally made in the same fashion and among other things, has an incorrect signature of Japanese General and Politician, Hideki Tojo on it.  They normally are suspended from the top, rather than from the right or left side.  Some suggest that these were U.S. CB. fabricated flags, but I am still not wholly convinced where these came from.  Can you take photos of all 3 seals on this flag?  Here is a similar example...

image.png.b23956ce2382ecba106dc2458af4dd66.png