Help with confirming a WWI German sword

warguy

I am no expert on WWI German edged weapons but I have a couple of references. A buddy of mine picked this one up cheap at a garage sale last weekend. No scabbard, and pretty close to relic condition. I cant find any makers marks on it. It has a brass guard and nice ray skin or shark skin grip. The letters L.G. appear stamped on the guard and I have read that might indicate unit or company??? The langet looks to be bent toward the blade and I think this is throwing me off some in identifying this. Also, the bulbous part of the blade toward the end is not something I am familiar with. So is this an Imperial German NCO sword or??? Anyone know the unit? Thanks in advance. Kevin

IMG_1732.JPG

IMG_1733.JPG

IMG_1734.JPG

IMG_1735.JPG

IMG_1736.JPG

Kevin,

Your sword is of a style called a Fusilier Sword.  This is characterized by a plain polished brass P guard hilt with a re-enforcement block at the juncture of the guard and a sharkskin grip.   The curved blade is generally referred to as a "Pipe Back" with a rounded swell that goes from the back of the blade at the hilt to the tip of the blade.  The proper scabbard is of black leather with plain polished brass mounts and a frog stud at the throat.  A scabbard with two ring mounts was also used.

Your sword is a Prussian Rural Police sword that was issued to the "Land Gendarmerie" as shown by the "L.G." markings on the guard.  Here is another showing the proper scabbard.

I hope this helps.

Landgend sword.JPG

Landgend hilt.JPG

Landgend markings.JPG