Luftwaffe "winter" flight suit

BrianD

Not sure if this is the right place to post?  If it isn't please move to the appropriate area.

Was contacted by a widow of a WWII US vet who brought this home and was looking for info on it, correct designation, and possible value as she is looking to maybe sell it to me.  This is SO FAR outside of my normal collecting areas that I have NO idea on what a rough value would be and more importantly since this is something that I have never paid attention to is it even sought after or collectable?

Here is what I can say after viewing it yesterday:  The leather is soft and supple all over with no stiffness or cracking.  Fur liner is in good shape all over except where it would have been over/under boots with some fur missing and down to the leather on the bottom of the pant legs.  Missing a couple of the leather pull tabs on the zippers, but they are still with it in one of the thigh pockets.  Zippers are Ri Ri brand.

I have posted this on the WAF as well, but since I am an old member but not real active I am getting not a lot of info/help on this and would love for someone here to help me out or point me to someone who may collect this sort of thing.  Anyway, here are the pictures:

suit 1.jpg

flight 2.jpg

flight 3.jpg

flight 4.jpg

flight 5.jpg

flight 6.jpg

Very likely a night fighter unit with those markings. Two come up, ME-110 unit or another possibility is F2 - Erg. (F) Gruppe Rahmel, ME-109s. Researchable material. Very unique flight suit, and yes its sought after. Not as much as the two piece electrically heated leather flight suit favored by fighter pilots. Its a real one and not the common straight front zippered version.

I'm not sure what your ask is though. Are you trying to determine what to tell her it's worth or to offer her for it? Or are you trying to move it for her? 

I agree with Snake.  A one-looker original Luftwaffe flight suit with research-able unit markings.  It seems to have the earlier Ri Ri brass zippers as opposed to the wonky aluminum versions which is a definite plus making it more desirable.  

I can't help you with a price point but they do come up for sale from time to time. 

On 9/22/2021 at 7:12 AM, snake36bravo said:

Very likely a night fighter unit with those markings. Two come up, ME-110 unit or another possibility is F2 - Erg. (F) Gruppe Rahmel, ME-109s. Researchable material. Very unique flight suit, and yes its sought after. Not as much as the two piece electrically heated leather flight suit favored by fighter pilots. Its a real one and not the common straight front zippered version.

I'm not sure what your ask is though. Are you trying to determine what to tell her it's worth or to offer her for it? Or are you trying to move it for her? 

She wants to sell them and knows I collect, but not really this sort of area so my question (to be straight forward) is 2 fold:

1.  What should I offer her?

2.  What sort of price could I expect if I did buy and then resell them to someone who collects this sort of thing?  

Guess you could simply answer #2 and I could decide what to offer her based on the hope/market price?

Thanks Snake and Sarge!