M40 Luftwaffe with Copper-Red Highlights-Q64

Fortunes Of War

Fortunes Of War

My M40 Luftwaffe single decal helmet arrived yesterday. I was told it was a "barn find" and it did not disappoint.  I had to wipe away dirt, spider webs and mouse poop from the inside.  The outside was also covered under a coat of dust.  The eagle is in very good shape, with some darkening, here and there.  Inside, a couple of the leather liner fingers show serious nibbles where some hungry critters had an extended lunch.  The liner is in overall good condition, while the chin strap is quite dry.  The strap is not broken, but I would not want to mess with it too much.  I was also surprised to see some reddish highlights, similar to the ones that Zach posted on his M40.  While his camo markings are undeniable, I was not expecting to see any color, other than Luft blue paint on the exterior.  When it gets a bit more light outside, I'll look closer at the paint to see if there are other colors, other than the scattered red. 

IMG_0575 (2).JPG

IMG_0576 (2).JPG

IMG_0578 (2).JPG

IMG_0580 (2).JPG

IMG_0577 (2).JPG

IMG_0581 (2).JPG

IMG_0579 (2).JPG

Mike. Nice Helmet. Now stop cleaning it. LOL. Though with the mouse poop I would have done the same.

Looks like an M35 w those vent holes but perhaps it is an illusion to me? Does it look like separate bushings to you. Or just w the white outline (of dust I assume) it appears that way and it is punched like an M40? I see there is a Steel liner there which would suggest M40. What’s the Lot and Maker ?

The red is interesting. If a Camo definitely the most subtle I have seen. But …. I don’t think that Red is from “grandpas garage” either. Interesting. Almost like they were going to Camo the helmet. And stopped. Doesn’t look like paint was removed to me either. 

nice and untouched. Thanks for showing. 

Z

Edit : It could be grandpas garage possibly Mike. Or shelf scuffs and things. I am unsure 

Fortunes Of War

Hi Zach-

The vent holes are definitely punched, with no grommets, and the edge is nicely rolled, so it is a M40 shell.  The lot/maker marker appears to be T732 (I don't know that one.)  I took some quickie images just now to post, and didn't pretty them up, sorry.  Under bright sunlight, I noticed some hints of green paint, similar to yours (see third photo at crest of helmet).  There also appears to be an occasional bleed-throughs of yellow paint.  I have to add that the green and yellow are not in abundance, but you can see it, here and there and it appears old.  If you look at the first image, you can also see more of the copper-red.  I didn't notice earlier, but there is a banding of black paint around the helmet and in some areas, it is a double banding (see photos).  I am now wondering myself, if the helmet was uncleaned (it most certainly was uncleaned), why would it have such light camo tones? 

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0584.JPG

IMG_0585.JPG

IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0588.JPG

IMG_0587.JPG

Yes. I defintely don’t think someone after the war removed the beautiful Camo job on this. Seems like these subtitles marks were all there was. Hmm. I would love to see in hand. Two thoughts I had on the banding. 1) Could it be stacking ? An old British army helmet stacked for years on top ? 2) another thought is … some type of Camo band was around Helmet for years ? 

see here.

- Top pic is a KM I used to own that had a red rubber Camo band around it. 

- Bottom pic is another KM that must have been stacked w a Tommy helmet because I was told (unfamiliar w British items) the deterioration of those liners would cause this black pattern. 

either look familiar ? 

5C5E475A-5E2D-4DAB-A64A-C36E4F17CBBD.jpeg

89D2FA09-3C51-4EA0-A4D9-DD6AD4627090.jpeg

Fortunes Of War

Zach-

Great feedback!  Yes, I really have no idea either but those explanations and the images seem to point (maybe) in one of those directions.  As an aside, the green paint that is visible is only present in a spot or two. 

Airborne-Hunter

I've seen several light camos over the years. I have also seen/heard of paint jobs that wipe off so that the camo can be changed with the seasons. Somewhere, whether on this forum, USMF, or somewhere else, someone had a white wash snow camo and the paint came off very easily and it got ruined. So rule number one, don't clean. I have a brown wash camo on my 20 years of German helmets thread. The brown on that helmet, while actually paint, will come off if rubbed hard enough.

Also, side note, I have seen a German helmet with red as the OP shows. I can't remember where and I can't remember if its luftwaffe. It may be that I may have one like this too, but I'd have to go digging. The aforementioned thread does not show all my helmets and due to the recent California fires, I've had a lot of my collection packed. Best ABN

Fortunes Of War

HI Jim- 

Thank you for the information.  If you come across the information on the similar helmet or find yours, please post it here.  I would like to compare....  Good Luck with the fire issues out your way.      

Fortunes Of War

Here is another photo of the lot/maker mark: it appears to be T732.  Can anyone ID this one for me?  Thank you in advance.

IMG_0596 (2).JPG

On 10/4/2021 at 5:39 PM, Fortunes Of War said:

Here is another photo of the lot/maker mark: it appears to be T732.  Can anyone ID this one for me?  Thank you in advance.

IMG_0596 (2).JPG

Hi Mike. It should be a Quist. Is there a “Q64” (or something like that?) stamped on the side by the ear inside brim.  
Z

Fortunes Of War

HI Zach-

Yep, I posted that one up in the first batch of photos.  I was hoping to find out the sequence for the lot/maker numbered "T732".  No worries, however.  I was fortunate that someone listed the significance on another forum.  I'll go back over, pick it up and drop it in here.

Here was the other information:

"T serial from Quist.
they had several marks before the digits, DN, IN, R, S, T. "

Best,

Mike