Austro-Hungarian Dragoon Helmet

SARGE

Gents,

This is an example of a Model 1905 Austrian Dragoon NCO helmet.  There seem to have been several iterations of this helmet around the turn of the century with various decorations indicating rank.  Officer rank helmets had ornate brass panels on the sides of the comb but the basic design remained the same.  

Aust Dragoon helmet R front.JPG

Aust Dragoon helmet L front.JPG

Aust Dragoon helmet R side.JPG

Aust Dragoon helmet eagle.JPG

Aust Dragoon helmet interior.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Sarge If I May Add These For reference, Pike Grey Painted Dragoner Helme.

This one at the Army Museum in Vienna, 

EXBD1gQWoAEiMBd.jpg.93a1401d0b1dc23e700a95ca71634249.jpg

And out in the Field with the new Kaiser somewhere in Russia, and Officers version, which as mentioned has designs of some kind on the Comb.

EXBD2IiWoAAEBKD.jpg.81cc1e64c80191b873ba39202411d8a1.jpg

Neat photos Patches.  I appreciate the response.

The photo of the Dragoon with the Emperor is really interesting IMHO.  First off the wear of the Officer Dragoon helmet with the designs embossed into the sides of the comb.  The Saxons wore an almost identical helmet to this as did the French.  Secondly the Officer behind the Emperor is wearing two medals on his overcoat.  It looks like a tailored greatcoat with a fur collar and he has his pistol swung around on his belt as well.  Third, the Emperor is wearing a bayonet and knot as a sidearm while the Dragoon is wearing his Cavalry Officer sword.  

Lots of interesting things to look at in this picture.

• 1 month later...

Hello, 

Sorry to be a bother but I have some real doubts about this helmet. At best it has a bunch of original pieces (The chinstraps, maybe the eagle, and maybe the comb/crest/body are from a private purchase example), at worst it is a total fabrication made from a fire helmet. 

Here are my reasons: 

1. It is an enlisted style body. As you point out, it does not have the embossed lion and serpent on the comb. 

2. It has officer chinstraps but with the incorrect/missing fittings under the lion heads. 

3. The fit of the comb to the body of the helmet is not great (lots of gaps). 

4. Parts that should be brass have been painted black.

5. Gap where the two brass trim pieces on the front and back visor meet in the middle. 

5. Interior is difficult to judge, but I suspect it is not as it should be. 

Attached are the relevant pages from a reference book that shows a depot marked issued example. Yes there were private purchase examples, but the issues I raise would be concerning on a "private purchase" example as well. The main differences are liner style and materials (tin as opposed to leather), not the main design and fit.  

262010151_918649915490017_7845357485411459858_n.jpg

262310948_875354949756801_5840248157984493628_n.jpg

Thank you for your thoughts on this helmet.  Austrian helmets, and helmets in general, are not my forte.  It might well be an assembly of parts with the issues that you point out.  

We live and learn through sharing information.

Yes and many people are fooled by helmets that are not nearly as good as this one! Certain K.u.K. items are difficult to fake, but uniforms and especially headgear can be very dangerous! Hopefully people will see this forum and learn something.