Imon Bukuro (Comfort Bags)

VicP

Hello Everyone, 

I haven’t posted in a long while, so I thought I’d share this work in progress display. I’m trying to put together a comfort bag, and this is what I’ve accumulated so far. It’s a representative example seeing how there are so money types of bags and contents. I hope everyone enjoys the photo.

Vic

ED1C4FC7-4E2A-411D-ACF3-C735CD03D9E0.jpeg

Very neat Vic.  Were these comfort bags made up and distributed by the neighborhood associations or by organizations such as the Red Cross?  

They were mostly assembled by citizens in civic associations where they would be collected and sent to depots where the military would then transport and distribute them to the soldiers and sailors.

They were given to soldiers. The doll is what’s known as a Masukotto or mascot doll. They were usually hand made from bits of kimono or other fabric and given to soldiers by their loved ones, (mothers, sisters, girlfriends). The doll was supposed to contain the spirit of its maker, so they would always be with the soldier. This one has a head made from gofun which was a type of paste made from crushed oyster shells. It doesn’t have provenance that it was carried by a soldier but it is a nice period example. Dolls attributed to soldiers are understandably very hard to find.