WW2 Germany, American or German POW's?

tom63

POWs.jpg.b9bc0623ec545139f81c63c5d75c81f3.jpg

This photo is from a large group of film rolls that I came across awhile back.  I posted it over on the US Militaria forum and asked for opinions on who are the POWs.  I tend to believe that the two GIs are the prisoners. Most think the Germans are the POWs.  A lot of interesting info was gleaned from this one photo.  Check it out over on the US Militaria Forum under EPHEMERA, PHOTOGRAPHS & MILITARY ARTWORK.  Note that all the rest of the photos from the large group I have were taken, I believe, in Germany or some occupied country by a German soldier. That is why I believe the GIs in this photo are the POWs.

Great to see this photograph here as well! We have seen some close-ups and more photos following from the same roll of film at the USMF.

To start the discussion I would like to repeat what I have posted at the USMF before.

1. This photograph was at the beginning of a roll of film, more Wehrmacht "business at usual" photos following

2. The soldier with US helmet on the backseat of the Kuebel seems to carry a K98

3. The soldier in the background is wearing his M43 hat backwards (maybe not to look like a German soldier?)

4. The (overall relaxed) scene was taken at a Tank destroyer school

I´m thinking of German soldiers wearing foreign uniforms to support training as "Aggressor Forces" (Feindkommando)

Lars, 

A good analysis.  However, I think the Kar.98k rifle is fixed in a rifle rack in the vehicle and not carried by the US soldier.  I don't see belts or pistols on any of them in this photo.  It looks like two German soldiers have their caps on backward.  Very odd.

1 hour ago, SARGE said:

It looks like two German soldiers have their caps on backward.  Very odd.

I've always thought that the two German soldiers were transporting the two US POWs and had their caps on backwards because they were or will be wearing goggles.  The guy in the black (SS?) uniform is probably the driver and the soldier on the back of the vehicle is riding shotgun or maybe driving the motorcycle in the background.  We can't tell from the photo if either of them is armed.

I think the German soldier in black is a tanker wearing a black panzer wrapper.  The black M-43 cap worn backwards is an Army (HEER) version from what I can see of the insignia.  The vehicle license plate is clearly issued to the "Wehrmacht Heer" (WH #).